Do you believe that there are some break-ups that you never truly get over or move past?

Are you currently with someone (dating or married) and are happy but there is a part of you (a part of your heart) that will always love that someone from your past?

1512

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely

Most Helpful Guy

• Having some regrets or wondering what could have happended differently isn't unheard of, but I think still being in love with an ex is not healthy when you're in a relationship with someone else- it's only fair that you should be focused on the person you're with.

That said, I know a 61 year old woman who is currently with a guy she met while on a summer trek 40 years ago. They were only together for a few weeks back then but he found her on Facebook newly single last year and contacted her. They're quite happy together and clearly never forgot each other.

What Girls Said 14

• Maybe. A few years ago I experienced a breakup that, at the time, I was certain I'd never recover from. But I've moved on at this point, so clearly I was wrong. That doesn't mean there is no breakup that is never get over, though.

• I thought that I could never get over this one guy. But u can. I promise lol u just have to find someone u like and it takes time but I'm 100% over him now and almost never think about him

• I've never experienced this as I think maybe I'm too young. But I watched a movie last night with a story line almost exactly like what you are describing here. It's a black and white movie called Blue Jay. I really think you should watch it 😊 It brought tears to my eyes

• You should never live in the past so I don't believe you can't get over it. You weren't the same person then and you change.

• no if i love someone from the past i won't be with anyone.

• I think I get over them all eventually, some just take longer than others.

• Well I had that... That's why I broke up. Now I am just in a weird position, because I really like them both, and they both want me back. And I really don't know what to do...

• No when i turn a page over i turn iit forever

• i sometimes worry about that

• I'm with my boyfriend of 2 years and I think about my exes all the time. Just always wonder how things could be different if I made different choices. I do think I've got over them break ups though.

• so... you think about them all the time but you consider yourself as having gotten over them?

• Yeah, I'm never contemplating getting back together with them. I know that ship has sailed. I think about a lot of things

• yes how do we make it disappear

• No, and if that is the case, seek professional help

• i hope no, i don't want to be thinking in my first love the rest of my life...

• When it's someone you truly are or were in love with then yes.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes without a doubt, I'm with someone now in love with plans to move forward, she's great we get along have a lot of fun, we enjoy spending time together, I respect and trust her completely. I had that in a past relationship with a girl I knew since we were 12, starting going out at 14, her and I had plans for the future, we stayed together several years. I was so in love with her and her with me we couldn't have been happier. I think about her everyday at least once, as much as I'm in love with the girl I'm with now I can't not think about my first true love who was my soulmate, I miss her more than I could ever express to you. Our time together ended almost 5 years ago when she passed away, she died very young from breast cancer that was caught too late.

• oh man... I am so sorry... I really am.
      That breaks my heart.

• Thank you sorry it's taken so long to acknowledge you working doubles due to guys hurt.
      I appreciate it a lot.

• Yes i do believe there are some you don't get over.

• Nothing can become completely erased from your mind.

• Bro I still find myself hurting over one that left me when I was 25. It never goes away if you really loved them.

• Of course. Did you think the thoughts and feelings would just disappear somehow?
    Sure, those thoughts and feelings get replaced with more current ones, and they are not in your forefront of consciousness, but a person you're close to will always be remembered.

• For me yes there is one I will never get over. Just hearing her name brings back all kinds of emotions. I'm married and I love my wife and child, but still this girl is in my head from over ten years ago and many girls since. I don't think it's unhealthy either. But maybe I'm wrong and it's horrible, I surely wouldn't share that with my wife.

• Absolutely, I have one in particular that never left my mind while all the others I got over eventually. Doesn't matter who else I am with I can still never let her go

• Well, I guess that with each person there's always a first thing you did with a her. Anything, actually. First experiences of anything have the tendency to remain deeply written in our portable SSDs (Squishy Soft Drive) aka brain. All the new things you did with that person remain there forever so... boom! You get the picture.

• Maybe.
    I care about my ex but I would not go back with her, not a chance.

• Yes definetly

• Most definitely

• have you experienced this personally?

• Yeah. I have an ex I'd drop everything for if I could have another chance with her.

I've been in love with her for the last 15 years now