Have you ever felt lonely in a relationship?

What do you do when leaving isn't an option?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd rather be single if that is the case. No point in wasting your time. Why do you say that leaving is not an option?

• I have kids. I can't do that to them.

• Thank you so much. It means a lot to me.

• You are most welcome.

What Guys Said 35

• Is this relating to you pink? Just curious..
    Anyways, for me, no, I haven't. I definitely have felt like I didn't really like the person and that alone was causing the whole relationship to crumble. Though, I could always leave. People who say they can't leave are usually married and have children. There's more financial issues to deal with combined with the children. I haven't had to deal with that personally, so I can't give a honest opinion.

• Yes it's my life. My kids are keeping me here. Thank you for being honest.

• If you're unhappy, truly, it's going to bother you. You're going to either have to talk to husband, or leave sooner or later. Hope that helps 🙂

• It does help. Thank you.

• I have and it's a horrible situation to be in. Looking at the person next to you and can't decide if you love them or hate them. We have been to hell and back so many times I have lost count. We have been separated and took turns sleeping in shitty motels after big fights because we couldn't be in the same house anymore. We have 3 children, so I understand your situation very clearly. I can say that after a lot of work and soul searching that we both have recommited to our marriage and to each otther

• Yeah, back when I was capable of feelings. That's part of why I divorced my now-ex.

Leaving is ALWAYS an option.

• Not when kids are involved.

• People with kids split every day. Hell, women wait *until* they have kids, so they get a guaranteed paycheck.

I guess if the other person was Yakuza or a member of a Colombian or Mexican drug cartel, or Russian mafia, and would kill their partner if the left, then leaving wouldn't be an option.

• My life isn't at stake. lol Im not looking for a pay check. I can take care of myself if I left. I don't agree with child support or alimony. I'm a big girl.

• I've never felt that feeling, sorry I wasn't much help! :-/

• If you can't leave, then better you make the relationship better. Make adjustments and do the things what makes him happy !! Trust me you just need to initiate then it will come back on right track!! The Ego in relationship is poison, so if he is egoistic or you doesn't matter, let it go away and let happiness come

• Yes. Leaving is always an option in my opinion. I've always tried to stick it out and improve things.

• Yes, we all go through ups and downs but I believe in this saying, A measure of a person is not how we behave when things are easy but how they react when things are hard.
    That's what makes me when things get tough or stressful.

• Yes in both of my relationships i felt lonely , i always ask myself
    if i will ever meet a woman where things would be 50/50.

• yes,,

At first it was kids that kept me in the relationship, then as the kids grew up, I had to meditate on what we needed to do, to reconnect. I should've meditated sooner but there are no do-overs.

• yes i have. and whenever you feel like that, then its a big sign for you, to leave. there's always an option for leaving.

• How come you can't leave

• is an affair an option or even just a friendship. this of course is assuming you already told your partner how you feel but have been ignored

• Not really. Im capable or controlling my emotions and im also really adaptive and a thinker. I always come up with a solution and im also proactive. What do you mean leaving is not an option? Example?

• Yes and I believe that happened right about the time she started looking for a meat stick that was bigger and more darker!

• Sometimes. You have three kids and a husband, whom should be proud of you.

• Yes c

• It was a long distance. 😐🙄

I was very far from her, haha.

• Yes absolutely but your textual description stopped me in my tracks, I would say leave - Without knowing the details it is impossible to give any real advice - The best I can do is what I would say to anyone who felt lonely, try and find someone/something to share your thoughts/feelings/time with maybe start some activity where you would meet new people to interact with.

• why is leaving not and option?

• never been in one...

• If leaving is not an option, everything is difficult to go on. You can feel lonely, brokenhearted or overwhelmed. In order to fix this situation there is only one person; you.

• If leaving isn't an option you try to sort things out... if nthn can be done well we can't run from truth not even chains would hold my eill to leave if its that bad

• Yea...

• Yes, many do.

• make really good friends. and keep doing things that builds you up

• Are you to be asking that?

• Get help, at least try to make it work one way or another

• Yeah when i felt she doesn't love me anymore

• Of course

• everyone felt it sometimes... wHen you are not happy or relationship doesn't work fine

• Be a lesbian

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 17

• The loneliest I have ever felt in my life was when I was in a relationship. I feel for you. :(

As for what do you do when leaving is not an option, develop, maintain and cherish your friendships. This is important even if people are in a relationship and they do not feel lonely. Especially for females.

Statistically speaking, females outlive males so it important that females develop and maintain their friendships because chances are they will be widowed and they will need those friendships then.

• Yes. My relationship is 75% long distance. Of course I've felt lonely. You just have to have open lines of communication.

• yes. There have been times where I felt lonely, or kind of sidelined by my boyfriend.

I can't really imagine a circumstance in which I wouldn't have the option of leaving if that's what I felt was the best option. Which has yet to happen, I'm a firm believer in how relationships, even if just dating, take work and a bit of compromise on both sides in order to make things work. So... I just told my boyfriend how I felt and why. Which, after one or two repeat incidents over a handful of months, resulted in us finding a middle-ground.

• Yes I have. In every way possible actually

• Yes, in the last relationship I was in I felt like this. I felt like he never really made me a priority in his life > he always had something more important to do. I hardly ever saw him and whenever I would make plans he would usually be the one to cancel them. It took me 3 months to realize that this relationship was toxic so I ended it.

• lonelieness is existential it doesn't have to do with physical proximity. a philosopher said about modern city appartment buildings "people's doors have never been so close, and their hearts so far at the same time... ."

• Yes. And I thought it would get better if we lived together, but no, it got worse.

• i have, and i concluded that he didn't love me - which was true. so i left. you can always talk it out with him, and if he isn't doing anything, leave.

leaving is always an option. i saw in your reply that it isn't an option because kids are involved. trust me, it is. my mum feels lonely in her relationship and she fights with my dad all the time, giving me hell. i wish they would divorce. sometimes staying doesn't mean its good for the kids.

• Yes :(

• Why isn't leaving an option if he isn't there for you?

• I have kids.

• That's a difficult one. If I were you I'd write in to a newspaper advice section or have a look at columns about situations similar to yours, because papers like The Guardian look into these things in the kind of deep and professional way that might offer you help on a level most of us here aren't capable of

• I've read a few of their articles. That's a good idea. Thank you.

• Work it out. Talk about it.

• There was a time in my last relationship. When I felt like I was the only adult sometimes. My ex embarrassed me at dinner with his family out in public once. I still dated him after that but it was not something I could forget.

• yes when people go on their phones I feel lonely :/

• Leaving is always an option. Don't make your kids see you unhappy. My parents tried that, I was so much happier to see my parents happy again! Divorced parents isn't all that bad. Kids can tell trust me. They feel it. Kids want to see both parents happy and not a fake happy either. Anyway.. if you are determined to stay. Surprise him, make him go crazy by trying new things. Go out together. Make the relationship come back to life. Recreate memories. Have some fun.

• No i didn't

• You leave anyway

• I did and ended up cheating (I would not recommend that to anyone) but thankfully it's over now