I want to leave a guy but I wanna do it in a way where it doesn't hurt him too much because I truly care about him?

I had a friend. Who's the same age as me which is 18. And well it has been a long time since he has been asking me out. He did date other people too. But he always wanted to have his firsts with somebody really special I guess. His 18th birthday is on the 12th. And he never even kissed a girl due to that reason. In the past when we hung out in moments of weaknesses I have asked him to uhm. But he never gave in. Well that is it till now. I was his first kiss. But I only told him I'd do it if he didn't get emotionally attached.. Which he did. The first thing he asked me after was to date him. Eitherway we've hung out together as if we were a couple. And slowly I began to like his constant doting on me. I guess it felt good to know that I was wanted? And I started feeling more for him too. Another day after hanging out with his cousins it was sort of a double date thing except with three dates? And well we were left alone. He asked me again. And me bein the stupid arse I am gave in and told him if in 3 months we still continue on like this I'll date him. And its been a week since then. Pretty much 3 or so days after I regretted it. Eitherway.. I dont want to break his heart so far into the relationship.. And it feels like the right thing. To not lead him on. So how can I breakup with him? Without him feeling so.. Down? I guess it was that same lowness that made me cave in to going out with him in tbe beginning... Just what can I do? Should I give him a present and say goodbye?
18
2