What is your preferred method of breaking up with someone?

• Face-to-face, IRL discussion
    79%(34)74%(62)Vote68%(28)
  • Over the phone/voice chat
    0%(0)1%(1)Vote2%(1)
  • Text/instant messaging
    7%(3)8%(7)Vote10%(4)
  • Human messenger (e. g., a friend)
    2%(1)1%(1)Vote0%(0)
  • Other (e. g., video chat, written letter)
    2%(1)5%(4)Vote7%(3)
  • I prefer to drive the person to break up with me
    10%(4)11%(9)Vote13%(5)

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on three scenarios.
    If we have been having some problems in a relationship where we generally cared for each other then I would want to do it face to face.
    If she was being an unreasonable bich for indispensable reasons then over text.
    If she cheated then I won't contact her at all.

Most Helpful Girl

• Face to face because we both say what we needed to say and wrap up in closure, kinda a big deal to break up if serious. Text or phone seems insincere or impersonal unless the relationship wasn't serious enough

What Guys Said 16

• Well I've been dumped in a really shitty way... so honestly the most mature adult thing to do is break up in person. Yes I know it's the most awkward and difficult, but you'll gain a greater appreciation from the person if you did this cause it shows that you care for them but don't think it will work out between you and them.

ESPECIALLY, if you where in a long term committed relationship, oh then it is a must. And if you don't do it in person, that's incredibly messed up

• However, it depends on how the person is and who is the one initiating the breakup.

I'll give some examples.

Say a girl is dating a violent abusive man. Yes, the thought that will run through every girl's mind that find themselves in a situation will think "oh god what if he beats me or worse..."

So in this case, over the phone or simply disappearing would be the best option. And also place a restraining order on him.

Another example is say the person did some shady crap to you like cheated on you. I would recommend simply showing them the evidence via text and tell them, you're done with them

• I agree with you 100%. There are cases where breaking up in person is not necessary, but those should be pretty obvious and common sense should dictate whether it's safe or worth your time to do so. But, in most cases, I think it's good form and shows integrity to break up in person. Just because it didn't work out with someone, doesn't mean you're given some free card to be disrespectful to them.

• I'll always try to do it face to face. If I have to do it because it's long distance then it'll usually be a phone call. I've only broken up with someone because of cheating though so it isn't that hard for me to really confront someone about how I'm feeling. I know other people have trouble doing it in person and will usually just do it over text since it's abit easier.

• I've never dated, so I don't have actual breakup experience, but I'd probably do it face-to-face and straight to the point. I'd tell them that I'm just unable to keep the relationship up anymore for reasons that are my fault, not theirs, and to just know that it was in no way, shape, or form their fault. That at part only applies if they didn't do something to make me break up with them like cheat.

• You tell them it's over, done.

By then everything has already been discussed - there just isn't anything left to say.

• Hmmm Interesting question. I have never dumped anyone so I'm not sure, would i have the guts to do it face to face? Maybe not, text would be easiest for me but probably most unfair to the woman. I'm not good on the phone. Maybe a letter would be fairest.

• Text, so I don't have to worry about her trying to kill me. people are crazy these days and I am not taking chances.

• Face to face in a very blunt way.

• If she deserves it I'd turn her life upside down making her want to leave so bad. If she doesn't I'll simply kill the love slowly by being silent and cold. I just don't like being the one to state a break up cuz i worry on how she'd feel "in the second case" so by making her hate me at least I'd be sure she'll be totally over me when we break up "thats me being a jerk and a kind heart at the same time"

• I've never broken up with anyone but someone has broken up with me. She did it by avoiding me until I asked her if we're no longer together and she said yes. She was very friendly and we were still friends after that

• I found turning into a ghost's an interesting way...

• That's arguably the worst way! Just rip the band-aid off and let the person get on with their life.

• "But I digress. My question is: what is it that prevents you from telling the person something like, "I don't want to see you anymore" and THEN disappearing yourself?"
      Nothing. I just wanted to give an unexpected answer.

• Oh. Well, I was very much expecting your answer, and was waiting for it, actually.

• Seriously, any other method than face to face is very cold and cowardly.

• Face to face ofcourse.. She has to see how i am sad couse of break up

• I dont really break up with them. I just keep useing her for sex until ahe catches on

• Any other you trying to create a stalker or asking to get killed

• If she doesn't break up with you, ghosting remains a possibility.

• I had to break up with a woman over the phone once because she was abusive. Of course she drove quickly to my house to carry on her abuse so that was to no avail. Good thing that was the end of it.

A woman broke up with me once over dinner in a restaurant. That totally sucked. Here I'm supposed on a date paying for her dinner and she is ending it. I think that is a bad time to break up, over a restaurant dinner. And you can't discuss the issues with other people sitting nearby. Forget that! LOL

• For the second one, I think that's terribly insensitive of her. For serious, long-term relationships, I'm a proponent of F2F break-ups, but they should be done in private and not on an actual date.

• LOL! Oh yeah it was the dumbest thing to have to hear! The guy kept his cool and I couldn't even hear what he was saying, which was good. Perhaps he was better off without her... LOL

• I'd bet money that he's happier now. No one needs that kind of drama in their lives.

What Girls Said 6

• Face to face so we all let it all out and just be done with it! Break up by text or online are cowardly and disrespectful.

• personally, I think the best and only way it should be done is face-to-face. People break-up via text/message/etc only due to the advancement in technology. But a person with proper manners should do it face-to-face

• Phone call

• Drive them to break up with me. Lol.
    I'm not fond of conflict, rather keep the peace (Libra) so I distance myself a bit until they sense it not working out.

I know, I need to become more assertive with these things.

• Face to face