Being rejected more than once? Does this happen also to others?

Let me tell you something... I am chubby and not that gorgeous... In my opinion it is normal to be rejected (it happens to every single human in this world) but I did not like it how the guys reacted... Once I was confessing to a friend of mine and his response was: 'You are disgusting' (this situation happened in middle school). During high school I had a crush on a guy and with all my courage I asked if he wanted to go out with me and his response was very rude. He said: 'Are you kidding? Someone like you asking me to go out with me? Hahahahahahahahahah'
Ok probably I know guys (most of them) prefer cute girls with all curves in the right place but at least they could answer with a polite way.
Now I 22 yo I cannot approach a guy or I totally don't give a chance to guys to know me for the person who really I am cause I'm afraid to be hurt again. In addition, I am shy person when it comes to be alone with a guy.
I got rejected more than twice but these two are the most impressed in my mind.
Have you ever gotten in this situation?
3
1