My best guy-friend likes me! How do I say "no" and stay friends?

I met this friend over a year ago. He lives in another city and since then we've been skyping and talking on the phone weekly and became really close. He was there for me when I was going through hard times, he's very important to me as a friend, and probably one of the few people I consider as my best friends.

About a week ago he came to visit (for the first time without any other mutual friends present) and we spent the whole day together. He's a shy guy, so he didn't make a move and for me it was a purely friendly pastime. But after that day he became kind of "needy": he starts chatting every time I'm online, if I'm not he sends emails with attached pictures of flowers, roses, etc. One day I wasn't around my pc and couldn't answer my cell phone, and later found 5(!) unanswered calls from him.

He basically looks all the time for stuff we "should" do together, and desperately tries to arrange for us to meet again. I can't let it go on like this.

Hiding from him would be stupid, and he won't take the hint anyway. Besides, I would hate to hurt his feelings and lose him as a friend.

So what should I do to make him understand that I don't like him this way but I want to stay friends?

And if you were in his place, would it be too strange to stay friends? Would you rather break off the relationship completely?

Thank you in advance.

11

What Guys Said 1

• If he wants something more than friendship and you let him know he might not give up or he could end the relationship because of the rejection or it hurts to much to stay friends complicated by the emotional attraction you have formed.

Or he could be OK with it after a while, it will get weird and awkward no way around it, maybe get a boyfriend or just let him know you see him like a brother etc...

What Girls Said 1

• its simple...

with your attitude show him that your not interested or tell him that if we stay friends our friendship will be more long lasting ...