Do you believe a person should be given a reason why their partner broke up with him or her?

I say no seeing how nobody has to give a reason why someone rejected someone.

• Yes
  • No

2118

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you don't owe anyone an explanation. In fact, you're better off not trying to explain as they will never understand your point of view anyway.
    It's best to simply say that it's over, you're done, and leave it at that.

Some people get all weirded out, will stalk you, turn crazy, etc. No, no explanation is required or desirable.

• They turn crazy because you didn't give them an explanation. You left them wracking their brain trying understand what they did wrong or what happened when you could have some empathy and courage to just be honest. Not that some won't still be obsessive but leaving someone you cared about questioning their worth as a person and the feelings you once shared is a cruel thing to do.

• @SanHoloz - You call it cruel - the rest call it wise. Nobody OWES you jackshit.
      "They turn crazy..." What a load of crap. Nobody 'turns crazy' - they either are or they're not. Women have a tendency to go off half-cocked. It's best just to leave them be or suffer their wrath.

What Girls Said 21

• How is a person supposed to improve, let go and grow if they don't get a reason?

Have you ever been in a relationship?

Also: explaining yourself to someone who wants to date is completely unnecessary and way too personal in many cases... They don't deserve to know your inner most feelings, desires and needs. You haven't even met properly.

• I never been in a relationship as I get rejected 100% of the time and I know the reasons why and it's reasons I can't control.

• @jumpingbeans Because of my disability and my psychical appearance. I'm not picky as I have even tried to get overweight women.

• what is your disability?

• Well sure, you do not HAVE to say but it is just the kind decent thing to do especially if you care for the other person and want to help them heal. It is very difficult to find closure if you don't know what went wrong or what you did wrong.

• Interesting double standard. Must give a reason for break up but not on asking someone out.

• But how is someone supposed to "grow" and "change" from being rejected from a 1st date then?

• Asker: You're talking about first dates, but the question asked is about relationships... There is a stark contrast between being turned down on a first date, and having a relationship break up.
      Perhaps update your question to clarify what it is you're actually asking.

• Some people need to know why they are breaking up for closure and so they can move on if not they just dwell on the why part. A lot of people don't take the other persons feelings in perspective they are a person and deserve and answer especially since they been in a relationship together why it didn't work and how to improve upon that or change it.

• You don't have a physical body. So I would not define you as a real person

• It depends.

If they've fallen out of love , or the relationship just isn't working then out of respect for their partner they should give them an explanation. It may provide closure and help them to move on.

People who cheat, manipulate or abuse their partner in anyway don't deserve an explanation.

• I say yes, because I see it as quite cruel to just dump a connection for no reason. Then they're left wondering and tearing themselves apart to figure out what they did wrong. But of course you can never force someone to do something.

• If you lied, cheated, broke my trust - I don't owe you anything for me to walk away. Other than that, yes I respect you enough for the time we spent together and love we once shared.

• You don't HAVE to. It's not like you should not be allowed to break up with someone unless you give a satisfactory reason. But offering a reason is the considerate thing to do.

• Maybe not if it was a really short relationship or fling but if it was an actual labeled relationship like boyfriend/girlfriend then yeah because it can hurt real bad and just be even more upsetting if you're left wondering. Having a reason provides some closure.

• Nobody is entitled to an explanation but I believe having one can help us grow. That is if we are willing to take criticism. Some people aren't and your reasons will never be enough for them because they refuse to believe they played a role in how the relationship turned out.

• no one has to do anything, but I think its paying the courtesy to the other person.
    It takes so much courage and strength to, and is why so many people just ghost, put it on themselves, and/or go around the bush.
    Sure it won't change anything in that relationship, but it will help the other person in their future relationships and to grow as a person. It will also save the other person some time to move on quicker.

I personally think if you genuinely liked someone for a period of time, you should authentically wish the best for them.

• It's best to give the reason so they aren't left wondering.

• Reasonings help to provide closure for both individuals, so yes.

• Of course you don't HAVE to give a reason, but for the sake of the other person's sanity, you SHOULD.

• hell yeah. With every relationship I learn

• I think they should especially if the breakup came up randomly.

• No sometimes we don't owe an explanation.

• Sometimes the fire just run out you can't explain this kind of feeling

• Such bs to say. I know what you mean but that "fire" is Disney /Hollywood BS. No, there won't be a perfect prince that's waiting for you to find him. That "fire" won't be alive during marriage either since you would be with that person 24/7. Our generation is truly fucked. Divorce became normal because there is no "fire" lmfao

• Yes. Falling out of love is reason itself. Just tell her/him, you don't love her/him anymore.

• Yes, this can be a big help to move on and not thinking with all the what ifs.

• It all depends on why and if you really want to no the truth sometimes it's just Better to let it go as it can cause a lot of unanswered questions an a lot of hurt I no I wouldn't want to no

• While ultimately you don't owe them anything, if you've been together for some time and it isn't motivated by cheating or a breech of trust, you should give a reason.
    If it's still early in the relationship, it's not as required, you become a jersey who likes to ghost is all

What Guys Said 17

• I didn't vote.

I don't really see it like that, I wouldn't ever assert that anyone should do either. However what I would say is that if you don't give the other person a reason, that's a real dick move. It shows you lack empathy for their lived experience.

And that's a huge red flag to any other people interested in you to stay away. If I met a woman and was interested in her and found out she behaved that way towards ex's, I'd be running a mile.

• Absolutely! Just cold-dumping someone is both very shallow and immature, and it can leave a person guessing as to why they were dumped and what was wrong with them, or thinking that their partner didn't give a damn about them to have the decency or respect for them to communicate the reason the relationship is ending. Cold-dumping someone is a serious dick move.

• If it's not something obvious like getting cheated on, then yes they owe it to the other person out of respect for them and the former relationship. Otherwise you're just an asshole.

• I think it's better to lie.

• I disagree. You don't have to spill every detail but if you dump your partner when they haven't done anything like cheat then you should tell them why. Lying makes it harder for them to move on and doing so is cowardly. If you don't want to be with them anymore you can say that, even if the reason is you found someone else, you are still being honest by saying that you don't think that this relationship is something that you want. If you try to pull the usual excuses then you adding more people to these message boards asking strangers why they were left high and dry with no reason. You are letting them go so you owe to them to really let them go.

• Knowing the reason could hurt more than not knowing the reason.

• Actually dealt with no explanation after six year's almost 2yrs ago. Still wonder what can make a person go from spending everyday together for so long. And I love you's to just walking away like you never existed. Cold hearted, and souless Is what I chalked it up to.

• Everyone has the right to be told why their partner no longer wants to be with them.

• I think they have a right to know, especially if you've been together awhile. Also, if you want to stay in contact with them as friends the only way is to be honest about why things ended.

• Yes...

• Yes so we can do self improvement.

• It's better alway's give a reason and be honest.

But have people dosen't give to protect themselves.

• Its fair to say why you left them

• They better have a reason or I'll resent them for leaving me in the dark.

• A reason is nice

• The implication I get from how people are with relationships now is "if you're not married, you don't owe them anything"

• Is go fuck yourself a reason?

• Again, that is a topic for another day. Today we talk about me!