What does it mean when he says he wants to be alone right now and that it has nothing to do with me?

We've been together 2 years and have been through a lot. Family deaths, one miscarriage (our child), etc. We hadn't spoken in 3 days, so I texted him and called once. Eventually he texted back that it has nothing to do with me, he just wants to be alone right now. I said ok, do you mean alone as in single, or alone as in you need some space for the time being? He didn't answer, so I said "ok well take care. If you need any help with anything in the future don't hesitate to ask." He said "thanks, LOVE YOU." I assume he did the bs break up, but what's with the "LOVE YOU" shenanigans? He's almost 40, and I'm 34, so this is absurd behavior, probably on both of our parts.
4
1