Is it possible to stay friends after a breakup of a long term relationship?

Or does one always fall for the other again and ends up being a beta.
Does anyone who succeeded have any tips how to get rid of those returning feelings?

1011

Most Helpful Girl

• It's possible, but it's not very likely to end up being a healthy friendship. One of two things will probably happen:

1. If you're at all a good match, one or both of you will deal with recurring feelings
    2. If you're not at all a good match, you'll wonder what is the point of being friends (other than pure emotional attachment)

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Nothing good may come up after a break up. Otherwise why else break up. No is not possible.

What Girls Said 9

• It's definitely possible but it won't happen right away. You both need time apart from each other to get over everything before friendship is possible.

• you have to be totally over them before becoming friends.

• Any experience? ”Over her ” is that the moment u dont feel guilty seeing anyone else or just never thinking about her again?

• yes. meaning you dgaf if she is dating someone else and you barely or don't think about her at all.

• I agree. I got over all my exes and don't care what they do. I could be friends, but it also doesn't hurt me if we are not. I have no hard feelings towards any of my exes.

• Bad idea

• If its a mutual agreement, me and my ex are pretty much best mates, he's my wing man now when we go out

• Nope why

• Possible.

• Dated a guy for 6 years still were friends after breakup and it just lead to friends with benefits- made everything more confusing

• If you were ever truly in love, then no. Its not possible.

• I agree with that. My ex and I consider ourselves friends but, we just don't talk to each other? Lmao! We have a 35 year old daughter and when she passed the bar and became an attorney, that's the last time we spoke, 11 years ago.

• Yeah it is definitely possible. However it depends on how close you were too, like if you both loved each other and one of you didn't want the break up you may need some time out first for the emotions to cool down, otherwise the other will always be hoping for more and will never be a true friendship.

What Guys Said 10

• Pretty Much its time to go your separate ways. For whatever reason the relationship ended, it will not be over if you still see each other. Yes it is possible but going to be pretty tough. Takes a couple of strong people who can agree on something they probably couldn't agree on before the break up. I suppose it depends to on why the break up. I have not been successful in this area.

• Yes, but it is not easy. I respect my ex wife and wish her all the love and happiness in the world. She and I both agree, however, it is no fun for us to live together.

in my opinion, you DON'T get rid of feelings, you simply recognize what is and is not possible for any two people.

• yes, however they will always be some sexual tension.

• My unbreakable rule is 'burn your bridges'.

• I say it depends on why you broke up and what relationship was built? Like if it was because of we thought it was gonna work but we just wasn't into each other then most likely but if it was sexual and had a very strong love then it will be terribly hard to be friends because you kno you both want more than just a friendly bond.

• Might be weird, awkward at first but if you want it to work like your relation did you'll have to keep at it on a friendly level.

• Depends why you broke up. But yes I'm friends with most of my exes

• I don't think so.

• Never! Impossible

• You can but after some time has passed.