What does a break mean in a romantic relationship? Read details?

My boyfriend said he wanted a break. I asked him "for how long?" He said he doesn't know. He initially broke up with me because he said he's in college and he's busy with stuff, but we still could hang on weekdays. He now wants a break. He says he loves me a lot still. We liked each other for two years so it's been a long time.

Update: its over, yes. He said he's done.

What Guys Said 9

• Im a romantic and I know that I do need breaks. Its because Im suiting to a womans needs and I need time to recharge. It is exciting because after 3 weeks the flame is hotter than before. If you stress him out about why he isn't coming around and ask him questions like are you okay he will turn the passion of love in a fiery ball of hell!! So take a knee and stay away until he comes back or you will lose him and he will lose himself. I know you care so just understand the reason why he is romantic is because of his emotions. You know when a womans emotions are messed up she needs to be alone or she turns crazy.. So yeah he's going through man-o-pause give him some time to smell the flowers and eat some salads

• a "break" is a lazy "break-up"
    For me, it's either be here or be gone.

• You're finished

• Taking a break means different things to different people... U might wanna ask him specifically what he means. Because it could mean he wants to be faithful but not romantically obligated... Or he wants to see what it's like to have sex with other people but still in love with u

• pretty much you decide if its worth having sex with someone who isn't your partner hence why its called a break

• means he wants to break up

• May he will change his mind

• It's sry that's what I think

• That means he just wants to justify being single to fuck other women

What Girls Said 12

• Normally it means they aren't sure if they want to be with you anymore and need time to think. Other times it means they want to have sex with someone else without cheating. Other times it means they are going through some things and need time apart. In a relationship though you should talk to each other if you're having problems and try to work through it together.

• Punk way of saying he wants to break up.

My ex said the same thing. "I just think we need a break that's all. So much going on in my life right now. I love and I always will. I'm not breaking up with you, so please don't think that. I'll see you this weekend, okay? I love you."

Then he got in the car and left. 6min later he sent a text and started dating his ex the exact day.

• Break means he needs space away from you and wants to work on himself but open to being friends with you minus the relationship label and benefits.

• For me it means a waste of energy. As in you either want to be with someone or you don't. If understand if exams are coming and you want to spend till then focusing on your studies and not seeing your partner. But breaks with no timeline sound suspicious.

• I think you know towards the end of our relationship things start to get a little different and you feel differently. Process the emotional baggage and then move on. It's a big world. :-)

• This is a breakup in my opinion and I think you know that as well deep down

• I am so sorry for what you are going through

• A break just means the relationship is over lmao.

• It s not gonna be oh so romantic after that

• Maybe he is just busy.

• he just doesn't want to be with you atm. Give it a few months

• I'm really sorry to hear about your break up :(