How do I get him to let me have a cat?

I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now. Before I was with him I always had a cat, and I want one now. But since we have been together and living on our own he won't let me have one. He says they smell bad. They will be in his stuff. They cost to much money. He won't pay the deposit so we can have one. I have told him that I would pay the deposit and everything else for the cat. And he says I can only have one if I can keep him from ever seeing the cat. I'm very much a animal person and I miss having an animal. I tried seeing if I could have a bunny and he still said no. He says he's not willing to sacrifice his happiness so I can have a cat. Now I feel selfish for wanting a cat knowing it would make him unhappy for my happiness. I don't know what to do. It seems like I'm not able be completely be myself

11

What Guys Said 1

• Get a dog instead. Cats are stupid.

What Girls Said 1

• You need to break up with this douche ASAP. Why is he controlling your life and deciding if he's gonna LET you have a cat? That is effed up. You are an adult and can make your own decisions.

If he's gonna be like this about HIS stuff, then he's very selfish. I'll bet he's like this about other things, too.

Why settle for someone just for the sake of being a couple? Find someone who lets you be yourself.

• Agreed. Question Asker: I'd probably edit that to "My soon to be ex" instead of boyfriend.