After a break up, when are you sad, upset, emotional or "grieving" from the loss of the relationship?

A survey I'm doing for my psych class - how long does it take for you to go through the "grieving process" or missing the person? Some surveys show that it happens to most women immediately while men start to feel it a little while after.

Assume this is a break up you didn't want to happen.

• As soon as it happens
    71%(12)57%(16)Vote36%(4)
  • After a few days
    18%(3)18%(5)Vote18%(2)
  • After a few weeks
    0%(0)7%(2)Vote18%(2)
  • After a few months
    11%(2)18%(5)Vote28%(3)

Most Helpful Guy

• I think psychologically men are taught to hold it in because they are seen as the guy who needs to keep it together at all times. (Also the reason why more men commit suicide than women) So they drag it out as long as they can because they think that's the right thing to do. This is a torturous process. Little do they realize that crying will actually help them relief that cropped up pain they've been holding for weeks/months.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm sad as soon as it happens and I'll stay sad for up to a few months.

What Guys Said 4

• Months for sure, I mean I was dealing with coming home from deployment as well as losing my wife so it was a double whammy but I drank myself into a slump for like a year.

• took the piss to get over my first girlfriend both lost are Vs together but she was a basketcase so then I tried getting another relationship so not worth it took two years to properly try for another relationship

• Honesty it all depends on my emotions. 😔

• Never been in a relationship

What Girls Said 1

• As soon as it happens