Do you believe that a married couple that does not love each other anymore should stay together for their children?

I always had that question.

2038

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Divorce after getting children is the most childish thing an "adult" can do

Most Helpful Girl

• They need to stop being selfish and LEARN as well as GROW TO LOVE EACH OTHER! What the heck! Something so simple to do, and they don't want to do it. What is it teaching their kid? That love is a lie. Marriage is hell, and people use each other for fake love. Children raising children. When you get married and have kids it is no longer about YOU anymore. When are people going to learn this?

What Guys Said 37

• Yes, I do; I absolutely believe the parents should stay together for the sake of the children.

Speaking as a teacher, I've seen the research that shows that children of divorced parents are 400% more likely to struggle in school with behavioural issues. (I did not make that number up.) I can verify that statistic in my own classes. Whenever I have a problem child in class, I merely have to ask the office, and 80% of the time, the child's parents are divorced. Then when I compare it to the rest of my students, I'll see that maybe 10% of my good students have divorced parents. Even the best students suffer a dip in academic form lasting anywhere from 1-2 years when their parents get divorced, and that's when everything goes as perfectly as it can.

Now, granted, there are other factors at play. Child abuse and constant fighting between the parents will affect a child at least as much as a divorce will, so if a married couple's home atmosphere is that bad, they may as well just get divorced. But if a married couple merely "does not love each other anymore," then for the sake of the children they ought to do their best to coexist in the same home until the last of them is off to college. Because there are few factors that correlate as strongly with poor student performance as divorce, and they would be doing their child a grave disservice by divorcing.

• As my parents divorced when i was 19-20, and my mom telling me that she stayed in the marriage for my siblings and I, i can tell you from personal experience that it is not a good idea to force the marriage simply for the kids.

All the kids see growing up are the arguments, the fights, which of course trickle down and those arguments and fights spread to the kids over the simplest things.

The divorce was rough, they always are... But when it was all said and done, my dad remarried and my mom is living with her boyfriend of, well, forever now (he came from a divorce too and both will never marry again)

I can say right now that both my dad and my mom seem a hell of a lot happier now than when they were together... And that's more important for a kid than forcing the status quo and societies expectations if what a family is.

• It is individual choice. Depend on the couple who has to take decision. Just they should focus on the points mentioned in this article and then decide what they should do and what they should avoid.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8123266

• if they can be happy and maintain a civil home life then yes. if they are unhappy or the home life becomes troubled then no

• I/we did. We stayed together 18 years, 16 of them in a non committal relationship. We had both agreed I'd work to support us so she would raise & take care of our daughter. But with everything costing so much I worked my ass off, went to night college after work and got 2 degrees. With those degrees came promotions and traveling and it took it's toll. I'll tell you, I wouldn't change my decision. Our daughter didn't realize anything was wrong with us until she was 14. I can go on & on about the new boundaries on living together without intimacy. But I won't. I sometimes think she should have hung in there longer?

• I don't know, it depends how old they are maybe? Like if they're in 70s, I guess it's too late to separate? I think it's immature to get married without making sure it's the right one. Marriage is a constant work on maintaining a relationship and putting effort to make it better. Every couple will reach a point when they're tired, bored and overwhelmed but still, it's what they wanted, couple life gets challenging with kids and all the responsibilities and obligations. However, I think yes, they should stick together for the kids.

• If they both respect each other and treat each other normally but with no love then they must stay for their children , anyways loves fades and routine takes in unless you change it but that first moment love passion doesn't last , that's why you must marry someone's who's suitable to you rather than just " love "

• They should be adults for their children and make the right decisions based on the current situation before them. Responsibility.

• nope, that often does more harm than good and all involved would likely be happier if the couple separates and co-parents

• No. Having children doesn't mean you stop taking care of yourself.

• I'm on the fence about it.

• No, not really

• You can figure it out I believe. If you were once in love to the pint where you even considered marraige i would say its possible and lazy not to try

• Yeah

• Not if they are constantly arguing and there is a bad atmosphere around the home,
    Children can still have a stable upbringing from parents who live seperatly

• No. Their animosity ruins the kids lives. Better to move out

• Yes they should. They shouldn't have had children if they weren't prepared to stay together and care for them.

• My parents divorced when I was 4, I say no.

• if they can stay together without fighting with each other all the time, then sure. otherwise no

• It depends on a married couple. There are a lot of couples who love each other even after 20 years after the marriage

• I had this question either
    I will see their opinions

• Yes... you should stat together

• As i believe its selfish to think about yourself n not your child.
      Even if you split... that guilt will keep on hurting you inside...

• Nope. My parents did, and now the divorce is wayyy nastier. Your parents could totally make it work. Just saying I haven't seen that in my experience.

• Nope. The kids know

• Yes they can make it work

• no i don't been there don't that it sucks

• yeah

• No I don't think so

• Absolutely not. They can both still be caring supportive parents without living a lie together.

• I think that they should live close. But not have to stay together.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 19

• No.
    I feel that staying together ONLY for children, if there is no happiness, affection or intimacy is a waste and is a poor demonstration of what good relationships look like. Parents want what’s best for their children, I’ve yet to meet one that would tell their children to stay in a relationship that makes them miserable so I don’t see why they would be willing to do it themselves.

I have so much respect for parents whose relationship doesn’t work out and they end it maturely and with respect, then put 100% into coparenting in that same manner

• No. You should not sacrifice you happiness, it does more harm than good.

My parents are divorced, before my mum took the decision to leave my dad, my house was a nightmare because my parents basically hated each other, so it was a terrible environment to live in, the only reason my mum was standing all my dad's shit was because of me and my brother, but again, is not like we enjoyed living like that, it was actually a huge relief when they got divorced. So yeah, in many cases, staying together is a terrible idea that could potentially have negative effects on the children as well.

• If they can be kind and respectful towards each other, sure that's fine. But if they're always at each other's throats then no, it's better for the kids if they just split up

• No, I don't. I think ultimately it's best for everyone involved if they just separate

• I guess in the end it's up to the married couple, but i would not stay with my partner if i was in that position. But it would be absolutely important for me to let my children know that my now ex-husband an i are getting along well, because parents that hate each other can really destroy things.

• No they should be put into a foster home.

• Respect is more important than love.
    If there is still respect, then why not.

• No they shouldn't stay together anymore

• Nope, living a lie isn't going to improve their kids lives in anyway. I've seen people attempt it and it's a disaster.

• Hell no. My parents did and I watched them hate eachother and eventually still was dragged through the middle of their divorce.

• They should separate if they are unhappy and coparent.

• Yes and no.

• no they should't

• I believe so, yes.

• Yes. In a Marriage, as I heard, the feelings come and go. It’s not like you are I love 100% of the time. It comes and goes. When it’s not there you are supposed to work on it.

• Yes but once their children r old enough get a divorce after it

• Yes, they must.

• Yeah and even though it may sound wrong in principle, it is necessary for the children's mental well being. I've seen that most of the children whose parents have been divorced tend to be unhappy in life and often get into bad habits etc.

• Depends on what the couple wants to do. If they get a divorce, think about how hard it is on the children. It should be an agreement on the couple