What is even going on? Why do I even care this much?

My best friend (also my ex-boyfriend) who I've been so close with decided that he wanted to cut me off so that he could move on. This really hurt me because I don't want to lose him because we're so close. We've been broken up for roughly 4 years and would turn to each other for everything. Anytime something would happen he'd be the first person I would call. Things started to get weird between us, and he started to pull away. I started asking him what was going on because it wasn't like him. We got into an argument and didn't take for a couple days until we met up. We ended up having sex, which we haven't had since we separated, and I noticed he started to tear up at the end. I played it off and I was kinda mean because I told him that I didn't have feelings. I think at that moment everything about his attitude changed. He started telling me that he had feelings for someone else. Then he started talking about how he felt bad for how he treated me in our relationship and said he didn't want to put her through that. I started crying but he told me that he didn't feel like this was the end. When I asked him if he was ending this for the girl he liked he told me "I mean it fucking sucks because I want to stay friends with you, but no one will ever understand our situation. I think it’s just because we have such a connection that even other people can see when we hang out." We again stopped talking and 2 days later he messaged me what is in the picture. This was the last message he sent me a week ago and I answered and he hasn't responded. (It's been a week)

As I take this as it is, I know he's not talking to me because he clearly said he wanted to move on but it hurts that he doesn't seem to care. It hurts that he hasn't even broken "no contact." It sucks because I always thought I was over him and now I'm starting to question everything.
3
3