Do you think divorce/alimony laws are fair and effective?

• Yes
  • No
  • Dont care, never getting married
    Vote C

38

What Girls Said 3

• I say that it depends on the country, the state, the county, the judge, and the couple. It is not always the same. And it's not always favorable to women. That is an overall myth. Divorce should never be an option in the first place. EVER. Couples should be held accountable for their actions in their marriages regardless if they hate each other. Often times many marriages are salvageable but these couples, they're selfish. They want what they want. The 'my way or the high way'. This is what really destroys marriages other than premarital sex being the cause and shaking up before marriage.

I say that it's neutral. Alimony has always been since the time of Aaron and Moses about the woman and children because at that time women couldn't work. Even going into the early 1900's. Now that women can work and have assets, the judge will have to try to evenly split. And the couples must show evidence of discrepancies on either part unless they file for no fault. My issue with this topic is that today's men don't understand this, and don't want to. Everything isn't always the woman's fault. Neither is the man. But women need's to seriously be smart on WHO they are SLEEPING with and who they are MARRYING to. The same with guys. If he acts stingy with money now, don't marry him. Men get mad out of bitterness. And it's understandable. They worked hard, for some of them. They build things for their families. Nobody would want that taken away. But men, understand your wives more. And wives, understand your husbands more. The only excuse for divorce is adultery [sleeping with other people while married]. And I also say abuse if it's continuous and life-threatening.

As long as you loved and gave all you can 100% that's all that matters. My advice is if your that selfish, and only about yourself and not the other person, then don't get married. Marriage will die in selfishness. I guarantee you.

• In divorce nobody wins. Everybody suffers. The biggest mistakes many bitter couples make in divorce court is turning it into a competition.

• Divorces when there are no kids in the middle are slightly less messy.
    I have friends going through that right now and it's bad. But you divide your shit and you move on.

When it comes to custody, unless mother is like a drug addict or a prostitute, there's 99% chances she will get the kids. And I guess that's not fair, after all.

• What if only one person was working. Should their stuff still be taken away?

• Yep not getting married

• Hey, no, dont think that way.

My parents had an awful marriage, dad married twice, my husbands parents are divorced, his dad was abusive, lot of shit went down.

And yet, we have an amazing marriage.
      We have our little girl, it's a wonderful life.

• Not a chance. Divorce courts are devastatingly biased against the guys.

What Guys Said 8

• I think it's still pretty obvious that men get the shit end of the deal in Family Court. Now things have improved vastly in the United States but from what I understand in the UK and some other countries men get the shaft. I was able to provide the court documentation that my ex had been into the mental institution on four separate occasions. I was going for full custody, but I only got half. 15 days out of a 30 day month. I'm in Texas. So I feel I got about as good a deal as I could get because the courts like the kids to be with their moms even if their moms are batshit crazy. Like for real, mental institution batshit crazy. I was never trying to take my girls away from my ex, but she was not ready to be a mom yet. But still, thank goodness I got those two weeks every month. She did her best to play the bad dad thing an attempt to get full custody herself. however, I think even her lawyer had to step in and make her understand that with the suicide attempts, anorexia, and drug abuse, she wasn't going to get full custody. So now life is great and I'm just having to put up with the far too common harassment of a crazy woman who was scorned in court. last week the kids and I were having dinner and we don't take calls and texts during dinner time. Text and voicemails can be returned. My ex was blowing up my phone basically saying that she has the right to talk to the girls at any time under any circumstances. She basically said that she's the parent and I'm sort of like the vice parent. And so she called the police on a wellness check. You know like a wellness check where you send an officer over to make sure Grandma hasn't fallen and can't get up? Yeah, I had Sheriff's at my door with instructions to find my missing children and we were all just sitting there laughing and eating pizza. The cops were pissed. They knew immediately that she had abuse the system just to harass me. It was a male Sheriff and a female Sheriff. I'm not sure which one was more pissed off but I heard some unkind words about my ex as they were walking away from my apartment door. Divorce is hell.

• of course it´s fair and effective. i mean if the woman decides to leave her husband, she can take half his stuff.

and if the husband decides to leave his wife, he has to give her half his stuff xD

seems perfectly balanced to me.

• nothing's stopping you from getting a pre-nup before marriage.

• @kaylaS91 i think in Europe it´s entirely different when it comes to this.

• Nope, according to statistics and the data we have we know explicitily and empirically they are completely one sided. Its not really an argument, they overwhelmingly favor women.

• Alimony is absolute bullshit and the primary reason why I won't consider marriage a viable option for me.

• No and that's why I will not marry. No matter how much people say society is patriarchal, men tend to lose more when a marriage breaks down, especially when kids are involved.

• Not at all.

• Women are way more likely to get custody of the children.

• No they the laws exists for women to scam men out of money.