Would you go back to your ex if they wanted you back?

My last breakup was very confusing. He told me "I'm not closing any doors but I can't make any promises" as if he's expecting me to wait for him and be on the backburner. Honestly I don't want to wait for him because I don't want to be with someone who is bad at communicating and doesn't know what they want.

What would be your reasons to reject or get back together with an ex?

• Yes
    24%(9)25%(24)Vote25%(15)
  • No
    63%(24)60%(58)Vote58%(34)
  • Other
    13%(5)15%(15)Vote17%(10)

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like he's using you as someone to fall back on. Move on, and find someone who doesn't make you scratch your head and wonder who the priority is

• I don't really know what the hell it means anyway. I feel hurt by the statement because he literally treated me so well before (like a serious girlfriend). I guess things change?

• Sometimes they change, sometimes they just reveal who they've really been all along. Either way, putting yourself on the line like that in hopes for another change isn't worth the risk.

What Guys Said 30

• No. I don't end a relationship until I know it's hopeless. Once I know that, there's no reason to even think about going back.

• At the moment I would go back with My ex. Not saying you should go back with yours. Don’t wait for him if you don’t want too.

• That ship has long sailed

• Considering my ex tried to kill me with her car... No. Lol

• Ex = ex. Never give second chances, because they will kick your ass.

• Fuck no! That crazy bitch and her psycho friends and family ruined my reputation on another social media site and threatened to kill me.

• Very tough call - Most of my breakups happened after a lot of effort to see it through - So facilitate any successful resumption would probably require a lot of change on their part or my part - I don't want to sound bitter because I don't dislike any of my exes but as of now I wouldn't go back

• girlfriend broke up with me some years ago. She knew I would wait on her forever bc I was loyal & in love with her. I THOUGHT by being mature & open about wanting 2 get back 2gether while giving her space was the right thing to do. But, she used my honest confession as a way to gauge how attached I still was. She would check in from time2time when she felt I was slipping, and come over 2 cuddle/make out etc just to tell me, "u know nothing has changed right? We're still broken up." Once I had enough, I told her I wasn't waiting & I was moving on. I couldn't hardly finish that sentence b4 she screamed, "I WANT 2 GET BACK 2GETHER!!!" She was enjoying single life & the freedoms it offered, but she dated around & saw there weren't many great guys out there as she thought. She was merely stringing me along until she knew she couldn't any longer. We got back 2gether but it never worked bc I couldn't get over how poorly she treated me.

• Dump him & find someone who wants to be with u, not someone u have to convince to be with u.

• Considering i want her back, yes

• reasons i wouldn't get back with my ex: they might not even know if they want to be in a relationship but are getting into one for whatever reason, the breakup would make the makeup and rest of the relationship awkward, and if the relationship couldn't stay together the first time, what makes you/me think it'll stay together the second or even third time?

reasons i would get back with my ex: they were really genuine, loyal, faithful, respectful, etc the first time, they are serious about it, they know 100% positively no doubt about it and for a fact, that we won't break up again

• I broke up with her for a good reason, so no

• Exes are exes for a reason.

• My ex and I had a long relationship, and when we broke up things got pretty bad between us, she cheated, lied and such.

• The naive part of my mind would love me to accept them back, but the reasonable part of it would make me not to.

Four or so months after my girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me, she said "if you were here now we would still be dating".
    It was one of the times I actually thought of punching a woman in the face.

• I guess it would depend on the reason why we broke up and my feelings for her but the likelihood is pretty low.

• no way. they are and EXs for a reason

• Basically they don't have the courage to make a definitive decision, and they put you in a backup position just in case they change their mind.

• I seem to have the same thing like you, except that I just "rejected" her because I didn't get that she was into me, although I seemed to crush on her (which I also showed somehow) anyways after things cooled down again, she started glancing, and after a while I asked her out just because it annoyed me. Then she said she had a boyfriend, but that doesn't even seem to be a thing, since she even stares at me when being around her "boyfriend". She's just weird.

• Don't have an ex. Never been good enough for someone to try. Oh well. I just keep moving on.

• I'll listen and talk to them, maybe ask questions, have a coffee or lunch, but that's where it ends.

• If they have changed, yes.

None of my relationships were beat into the ground until they no longer worked. So... I never knew how it would work if they took their natural course... So why not? Everyone deserves a second chance.

• No. Nope. Never.

• Booo, get back with him!

• Lots of exs let's say my third ex yeah

• Hell No. I had that situation before in my life, she wanted me back, but i denied

• I'd have sex with her, but I wouldn't date her, no.

• Hell would have to freeze over. Its a personality type thing for me.

• no way she was cruel an cheated on me

• Why would u dont want to be with a bad communicator?

• Girl is the initiater for breakup in most of cases. It's obviously that her ego isn't satisfied easily and she herself isn't clear until she finds 4-5 boyfriends only then she may become clear about what she wants out of the relationship.

What Girls Said 21

• his sentence means, "if i can't find someone else, I'll be okay with you to have fun with"
    you really want to be with someone like this?

• No way. That's what I'm saying.

• yup. find someone who really values that you chose to be with him. 😊

• My ex called me every name under the sun before he begged me to take him back so I never replied to him 🙅 Good on you for not taking any shit from him!

• Nope. I've since moved on with a wonderful man and I don't want to be with anyone else.

• I'm honestly not sure. I want him to want me but at the same time, our relationship was unhealthy and unless I was positive that he was willing to put the effort into making amends and changing things for the sake of our future, I don't think I could.

He hurt me a lot and he abandoned me with absolutely no proper explanation or closure. On some level, I know I deserve better and I could do better but since I have a baby with him, I sort of feel obligated to try to repair things. I really don't think it's possible though. He's selfish and he's destroyed my trust one too many times. Sucks because I see his potential and we could've been a happy family but I guess some people will just never prioritize or grow up. I think as time goes on, I'll be less and less willing to take him back (although hopefully our relationship can be civil eventually)

• Well, i feel like the only reason I would get back with an ex is if we broke up mutually because we both felt like we weren’t ready for a relationship. I would get back with him if he feels like he’s ready and I feel like I’m ready for a relationship.
    I would NEVER go back to someone who abused me, cheated on me, lied to me, stole from me etc

• Sounds like he wants to keep you around as his just in case girl. I think it’s an easy yes or no. If a guy can’t pick one it’s an automatic no for me. I’ve gone back with an ex once. It’s never the same. I put up walls that won’t ever come down.

• Nope if they were right for me they'd of never done what they did to me in first place.

• I would have to agree with Krh106, it sounds like he is using you as a person to lean when things don't go his way.

• No way

• Sometimes you should let an ex stay an ex. I think because the same problems that existed long time ago will repeat itself. yes, it might start off good as like all relationships do. Then, it will sour once again with the same problems before. It probably will be worse. Once in a while an ex get together and things turn out good, but not all the time. Look forward, not backwards. There is a reason why they are an ex. Keep that in the past.

• Did it once, regretted it almost immediately. Never again.

• Well I would think if you broke up with them you made you're decision that you no longer want to be with them.

• Nope. Don't want to. Also he's in a relationship.

• Hells no. He threatened to kill me all the time and he's a meth/heroin addict.

• If the break up was my fault and all the problems that caused this are fixed YES!! Vice versa!! And of course you both have to still have feelings for each other in order for it to work!!

• No...

• I did because it felt right. The break up before wasn't messy either. It should feel good, no doubts.

• I would yes

• No way. It was a toxic relationship, where he wasn't giving me any space. But I would say yes to being JUST friends and nothing more. We had a bad break up but I'm stupid enough to talk to him again if he ever wanted to.

• Eh. I'm on the fence about being with an ex. I was happy, besides his family, but we grew up. Now he has kids and a wife. That's A LOT of baggage for me. Without the wife and kids I would probably do it. An ex wife and kids are a lot of drama..

• I don't think I would trust someone with me heart again after a breakup.