What is the best way to get over an ex?

I'm heading over tomorrow to tell him to stop talking to me, because even tho we kept in contact I can't cope.

I have felt shit for ages (4 months approximately) and I keep having panic attacks. what's the best way to get over him? I just want to feel confident and happy again.

415

Most Helpful Guy

• Every individual is different - There will just come a time when you think less and less about them but that said the no contact is important especially if split was not that straightforward through mutual consent.

Most Helpful Girl

• What has helped me with anxiety and panic attacks is meditating. If you've ever been to a therapist for these issues, they've most likely told you to focus on your breathing and taught you breathing techniques. A big part of meditation is about breathing correctly and focusing on it. I use an app called Headspace, they have plenty of guided meditations that range from 1 minute to 15 or 20. So it's not like you have to dedicate a good chunk of your day to just meditating, you can feel a little bit better within just 10 minutes. It takes a while to learn and get used to, but once you've started mastering it, it can really change your perspective on things and help keep you calm throughout the day.
    Otherwise I would suggest spending as much time as you need with your friends and family. Having human contact regularly will help with the potential loneliness, and it will also keep your mind off of things, even if just for a little bit. It will also give you the chance to talk things out with a third party (if you feel like it) which might help you in the process.
    Being active also helps. When you're working out and really focusing, you don't have the time to think about anything else. I feel like taking dance classes is extremely good for this, because you'll be focusing on getting the choreography right. Plus you'll be listening to some good tunes and the atmosphere in the room will probably be really positive. Not to mention that there's actual proof that working out makes you feel happy, since your body is releasing a ton of endorphins.
    And if you really want to get over him, you need to actively try. It sounds weird when I say it like that, because usually we feel like we're not in control over our feelings and getting over someone means just giving it time. Which is true, you can't get over him in just a day by following my instructions. Time is definitely a key aspect of getting over someone. But what I mean is that you need to keep doing other things, you need to keep living a normal life and having routines. If you succumb to your sadness and you stay in bed all day every day, you're not exactly doing yourself a favor - you're not helping yourself get over him. You need to actively do other things, things that make you feel good in the long run, even if you feel like you don't have the energy or you don't want to see anyone. Once you get over that threshold of "boo I don't want to do this I just want to mope", you're gonna be thankful...

• ... that you got out of bed. Positively surprised over the fact that you're actually having a good time, even though you were dreading it at first. So, if you really want to feel better, you need to make an active effort. You can't just lie in bed and expect happy feelings to magically find you, sometimes we have to seek them out. It takes some time for sure but every day will get just a tiny bit better. And sometimes it'll go up and down, one day you might feel like everything is really good and the next you might feel even shittier. It's all a part of the process, try to not let it freak you out.

What Guys Said 14

• If you want to get over him, don't bother going ask him to stop talking to you, just block him on all your social media and phone.

I think that depends on person to person but you need some time. If you want to get over him faster, find a replacement.

• partying, sex, classes and activities ! anything that would keep your mind busy, plus don't wait or tell him to stop, go ahead and block him everywhere and that's it you'll be over him in one month period...
    I've been there and I know how it feels, as long as you know there is still a way to contact him then you will or at least it will always be on your mind !

• Go no contact.

Block him everywhere.

Don't stalk him on social media, don't message or call him, don't reply to him, don't hang out where he does in hopes of seeing him.

You must cut him completely out of your life.

• Feeling confident has nothing to do with your ex so get that out of the way first. If you can't cope while having contact with him then end it all and go no contact from now on, its the only way.
    If you still feel pain, dont find ways to distract yourself or forget about it. Instead try to feel the pain so deep it reminds you why things ended, why this change has to take place and why you want something better for yourself. Pain its the only way.

• Stop looking at the pictures

• You need a man that could treat you like a woman should and make her feel like a woman

• first it's a big mistake trying to be with someone else just to forget him
    second if you really want to do it the is only one way: fill your time with more important stuff so you don't thing of him anymore like reading books watching movies hanging with friends trust me... it's the only way and u'll just laugh at how u like him

• Go out, get laid! Reminds you that you are desired and you don’t need him.

• Time.

• Do what makes you happy

• Go for the next guy

• Time

• Find a better guy or just involve yourself with a new hobby or interest

• I think personally. Talking to exs is not gunna help
    Find a good friend or group of friend and have a good time every month just to get in a bit of fun

What Girls Said 3

• You have to understand, the people who we have let close enough to us to love will always have an impact. You will never 100% forget him, but the feelings will change and fade.

You need to distract yourself-- not necessarily with more romantic partners but with work or hobbies. I actually paint at my best when I'm feeling down, then I get so consumed by the artisitic process that I forget what happened to make me sad :)

• Focus on yourself and learn from your past relationship.

• Its take time 🙂 be patient, there are reasons for everything