Would you stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of the children?

• No, i deserve to be happy. Besides it's better for the children we divorce.
  • Yes, i would stay for the children because leaving is selfish.
  • Other (explain)
    Vote C

1426

What Guys Said 26

• I don't get this mentality because if you're not happy, it's going to show and the kids are going to notice it, why put yourself through it? And what benefit is it going to do/be for them? Lots of kids parents divorce and not only do they adapt, but turn out just fine. It's how the parents handle it is what affects them, not whether they stay together or not. That's my opinion anyway.

• It has long been proven that staying for the children doesn't make any sense. Especially if you relationship is violent or volatile. Everybody will be happier with a separation of some sort. Even the pets.

• No. I'll be there for the kids, and would do my best attempt to have half custody but I won't be staying in a relationship with someone I no longer want in my life. My responsibility are the kids, only.

• Without being in that situation, it would be flippant to try and give an answer.

Sometimes doing so can be more harmful to the children than ending the marriage, though.

I hope I'm never in that situation, and feel for those who are.

• Nope. Unhappy marriage would lead to affair. How do you think it'd affect the kid?

• No. Always arguing in front of the kids isn't good for them. And we would either have equal custody or I get the kids. If she tries to take them, she wouldn't live long.

• No. It's better for the children in the long run to not live in such an environment as the parents will most likely be arguing all the time

• My girlfriend and I are never getting married or having children so the problem is already solved

• I'm damn sure that I would not let my relationship be unhappy unless she cheated on me. I would try my best to keep her happy and not let our relationship side effects spill over our childrens

• Wouldn't but I'll make both parents to have their kids grow up with them, growing up without a parent is, just feels bad

• I would and I would make it work for their sake.

• The only reason I would leave a relationship is if the girl cheated on me or was (violently) mentally unstable and I had tried for a long time to change her ways or get her help. Any other reason i wouldn't leave.

• No, if a marriage is unhappy i would move on but always be there for the kids.

• I'll never let it happen with me.

• I doubt that it will be good for children to live in a family where parents are permanently quarelling. The athmosphere in family is very important. That's why it's better to marry with a person who is 100% reliable.

• No.. lol I'm not being miserable for the sake of some brats.

• Unhappy marriage -> fighting -> stress, unhappy children

• Maybe... But most likely not...

• I might actually

• My answer would be that you should get a divorce but try to not let it affecr your children too much... Cos they will be hurt... But at the same time hurting yourself for the sake of your children is not right either

• Why would I leave? It's a stupid thing to do.

• Most people who are in unhappy relationships, leave, regardless of kids

• This question has too many dimensions to be answerable in 2,500 characters and people are too black and white (and clearly have never faced the decision) for it to matter. I have faced the decision. There was a lot more than these two completely simple options to consider.

• Yes. Partly for the children’s benefit. But partly because as the main income provider... I’d actually lose my kids in a divorce. I’d only see them a few times a month.

That’s not what I want. I want to be with them every day.

• Maybe
    My parents too did it

• Yes. The children will be hurt and I find it disgraceful that people divorce so much. It’s mainly women that cheat and end the divorce. My advice, don’t date women.

What Girls Said 14

• Marriage is not meant for you to get divorce for. While you do want to stay with your children, couples are unhappy because they refuse to work together. They need counseling and work it out. Before it teaches their kids that it's normal to divorce. They need to make their own self's happy. Marriage is about that person you married. Not about you. If you need a small break and separate, do that. You don't need any legal separation. But you have to come to terms and learn to properly communicate with your spouse and get to the bottom of your issue that you think it warrants for divorce.

• That’s hard one. I’d say that it depends on the specific situation.
    Obviously if one parent is abusive then the marriage needs to end for the sake of the kids and other adult.
    However, divorce can really screw up children. If possible, then the adults should wait until the kids are out of the house.
    Yes, keeping two unhappy people together is bad, but so is destroying a family, even if it’s for the greater good.

• Staying for the children is the worst thing you can do. You’re putting them in an unhappy environment where their parents obviously dislike each other.

• No.
    My parents had a very unhappy marriage, my brother and I were in the middle and it was nothing but miserable, I have nothing but bad memories about that time. It was such a relief when they got divorced. By my experience I can say that staying in an unhappy marriage is not necessarily the best for the children.

• It's better to be from a broken home than to live in a broken home.

Yes, divorce is harder for children. That we all know. If the couple fights constantly and has no kind words for each other, these kids see this and think it's normal and will repeate this abusive relationship behavior in the future spouse they marry.
    Parents can tell their children that they will always love them but mom and dad will be better away from each other depending on the age of the children.

• As if the children would not figure out their parents are unhappy together... Of course separate if you're unhappy. Better they see both parents happy in separate environments than grow up in a warzone. I honestly believe the "staying together for the kids" hurts them more emotionally than helps them, and does not set a proper example for them as to what a healthy loving relationship looks like.

• My parents did it. It's much worse.

• My parents are still together because they think it's better for us, but no matter how hard you try, kids will notice something's off and they'll also have a hard time with that. So not only for your own sake should you get a divorce, but also for your kids.

• No, children will heal with professional help and time. You won't if you stay and suffer the abuse, and they need you at your best.

• I would leave for the sake of the children.

• There is no reason good enough to stay in an unhappy relationship. Not even children

• Depends on the children's age n how he treats the children.. if he doesn't treat right then it's a simple decision! Else stick it out till you can explain to the children..

• Yes, I would.

• Nope!