Why does breaking someone's heart hurt so much?

I didn't mean to break his heart but I don't know what to do because I couldn't be with him knowing that I loved and was with another for 5-8 months. I knew I was doing the right thing but I can't get over it. I've never broken someone's heart. I usually mend and fix them.

14

What Guys Said 4

• It hurts so much because you care. On a psychological level, our brains react to break ups the same way it reacts to a close loved one passing away. The same chemicals are released and the brain needs to go through the stages of grief. So that's why it hurts. So you just have to deal with it. You did nothing wrong, but the right thing is going to hurt.

• So he cheated on you, didn't him?

• No he did nothing wrong.

• So what would you be doing for that situation not to happen again?

• I have no clue.

• Im in the same boat there. I feel like a complete asshole when i have to break up with someone. But just remember, its your life. You gotta do what makes YOU happy and not others. If your not happy with someone, then you gotta do the right thing

• It's not that I wasn't happy with the person it's that I know that he can possibly go down hill and even I wouldn't be able to help him.

• I'll sink I've done it before and the problem is called depression and I was actually pulling him out of it.

• Im sorry :( hope it all works out for you. Im usually the guy that all my friends turn to when they need someone to rant to, the offer is available to you if you wanna take it

• Maybe you have or did something to feel guilty about. Or maybe you feel the person really didn't deserve that , depending on how serious the action might have been

• He didn't, he was only looking for love and I made him feel loved and safe.

What Girls Said 1

• I've been in those situations where I've had to turn down a friend. It hurts because you're human and you care about them. Just because you're not in love with someone, it doesn't mean you don't love them.