Old age question: Can exes be "friends" in it's truest essence after breakup?

There's a saying: If two people can be friends after a relationship ends, they are either still in love or never were. True or false?

1522

What Guys Said 22

• Nope. It prevents one from moving on and causes problems with future relationships

• That is so true... Unless maybe it has been forever and you guys are truly over each other and have found your new happiness in someone else, then maybe true friendship is possible.

• If it’s ok with current bf/gf and it rarely is

• It doesn't work in my own experience. Usually too much between them.

• Probably depends on their relationship and, how they see themselves after the relationship doesn't exist. Yes, exes can be friends either, they'll be the best of friends (which will trigger their relationship again) or, they can be just friends (something like acquaintances) i. e. they both have moved on.

• I agree with your comment that if exes remain friends after breaking up then they do still have feelings and are hung up on one another!

For me, an ex an ex for reason as it's best to move on with your life afterwards 😊

• U hav the old age part right, lol. if they aren't like 90% of the dipshits out there if u stay in orbit u reach a certain point after the relationships where u become friends in the purist sense. have fun, bitch about shit, do shit, fuck, not talk for awhile, etc. nothing to hide, ur wide open, well beyond intimate. lol, its a double edged sword tho, thats also y i dont see a lot of exes. either theyre in a relationship n itll cause problems or they hav intimacy issues n high tail it

• But you haven’t explained your very first sentence, how is this an old age question?

• @jimmijo1954 after a certain point of maturity is implied, just like with most things experience requires time

• Doesn't work for me, we're usually Ex's for a reason

• It all depends on the breakup. If it was bad then no cause she has to be up to something. If it was good then maybe.

• It's possible, but it's not worth the trouble.

• Yes. Two of the people I trust most in the world, who know me best, are ex girlfriends.

• No, as Jim Jeffries once put it "Were not friends I've never fingered a friend before"

• False. It was probably some bitter person, who envies the amicable breakups that some people have had, who said that.

• Nope, impossible

• No. It's best to cut all ties

• Thats a pretty accurate saying

• That something everyone has to decide for themselves. You have to figure out if it's okey for you or if you start getting feelings again and then get disappointed because he's now a friend. There is no clear true/false.

• don't know i never stayed friend with my EXs

• True. It hurts.

• Yes they can but its rare

• How is this an old age question? It may be an age old question but I’m not sure it’s that either

• I don't know.

• Totally

• No, they can't

What Girls Said 15

• I believe so but so much factors and conditions have to be met to make it possible. I believe it depends on how you broke up - Was it a big fight because he/she cheated on you? Most probably not. Was it a gentle talk? Then very possible reconciliation here.

Although there would be a period of no contact/not being close as a time of healing after the breakup and then it would be a long period of reconciliation.

It's very possible. My first boyfriend (ex now) and I are very close friends now. It's like we never even dated, really..

• I've never wanted to be friends with an ex literally lol but I am still "friends" with my exes on social media. Don't ever respond or talk to them, just didn't unfriend or block no matter how bad the break up was. Want them to know I'm happy with out them and I they're basically irrelevant to me. I don't think about it too often lol

• I don't think that this is true, it doesn't have to apply to everyone. Sure, you cannot STAY friends after a breakup, but you can BECOME friends again after some time.
    One of my closest friends used my very first boyfriend once, we broke up almost 10 years ago. It took us about two years to rebuild the friendship again, but it was worth it.

• I think exes can be friend-ly but never friends in the “truest essence”
    Why complicate your future by holding on to the past

• Your saying is so true

• I say never were. Or a different kind of love. My boyfriend from high school and i dated basically (everything but the title for months) and we are still best friends to this day

• False I couldn't ever be friends with my EX!

• Two past lovers can't be friends

• There is always an exception. My ex and I have had the best sex ever. It took a few years but we always liked trying to screw each other's brains out. Some things can't be replaced.

• on a personal note. Some time has to pass after the break up for us to be friends again.

• time will tell... if the feelings are still there after years have passed

• I can't be friend with my ex. What does it mean?

• No cause I’d see them with someone else I might be jealous.

• True

• I'm really good friends with the guy I dated in high school. I believe some people can trust that their ex's will be true and honest with you if the relationship ends in a civil matter.

• Apparently not...

• I'm friends with my ex and it's honestly not bad but also not good. Sometimes I am so close to falling for his 'I miss you' but then I remind myself that we ended for a reason.