For whose who were in a abusive relationship before, how did you move on from the relationship?

How long did it take you?

143

What Girls Said 14

• I was in one for four years. It took me four years to leave. But I’ve been gone for 10 years now. He’s still part of my life since we have a child. And he still will say or do things to try and mess with my mind. Somedays he will get in my head, but most of the time now I just ignore him.

It took me five years after leaving to even want to date again. I went to therapy for years to get myself back together. I’ve dated two men seriously since then and been on a lot of dates. But I don’t trust my own judgement and I’ve never met anyone who can get past the walls I have, or cares enough to make the effort.

The one thing my ex said that turned out to be true... there is no one else willing to put up with me :(

• I know you said abused girls only.
    Ladies don't let a man hit you. Everything you own is a weapon lams chairs tables pans. Broom mop if he hits you once he will do it again

• About 5 years ago, I was sexually abused by my ex. And, I didn't realize because I was quite young and immature. It was my first relationship, and I wanted to please the guy. But, even after I said stop, or no, he kept going.

Anyways, I later found out that he was 31 y/o and I was 16. He has lied to me about his age. And that was a breaking point for reconsidering he told me otherwise. And it was believe-able because he looked to be able 23 y/o.

I called the cops and he was arrested. He is now know to be a pedophile.

• It's been 8 years and I'm still not over it. I still cry and have flashbacks and panic attacks from it. I still ask myself why he treated me how he did, why his friends stayed quiet, why he still tries to contact me like everything is ok...

• I was in the relationship for a year. It took me a year to date again. It took years to recover mentally.

• I got brave and my kids and I moved into our own place. Took me about 3 years to stop having nightmares about him, and to stop being so scared to answer the phone and door.

• I had flashbacks for about 6 or 7 years.

• I called the police and had a restraining order placed on him

• I'm still not completely over yet. One year has passed since our breakup.

It's true that he was abusive, but it's also true that he was my first boyfriend and I was madly in love with him.

• It took ages for my confidence to get back up.

• 3 years later and I can still hear his voice insulting me in my head impacting my judgements. Im doing well in another relationship but I don't know if you ever actually get over an abusive relationship. I think a water mark will always be there from it.

• I left my 7 year abusive relationship in May. Now I just can't seem to get into the idea of dating anyone. Like I want to, but I require so much alone time that makes it difficult. I just want to be alone now.

• My ex boyfriend and l dated a year and a half. We would break up then and there. When we got back together. We only dated for about 4 months after he tried to aggressively force me to be sexual with him. And after all that bullshit. I got over him like a year later.

• he went to university so i didn't have to see his selfish narcissistic ass

What Guys Said 3

• I'm still in an abusive relationship. My wife beats me everyday but I'm too scared to divorce her.

• Took me 2 years and her cheating on me to realise what an idiot I was. This was almost 10 years ago though.

• 72 years