Should I break up with her?

I've been dating this girl for a year now, and recently, both my parents sat down with me and told me they don't like her.

Specifically, they said she's "manipulative, dishonest, sneaky, jealous, insecure, and just looking to get married so she can live comfortably."

After they mentioned it, I thought about it, and unfortunately they're right. It's hard to look at her the same way again. But I feel like, "if not her, then who else?"

By that, I don't mean that there's nobody else. But, that's what I'm going to find again anyway. So what difference does it make?

Am I wrong to think like this, or is there really a girl out there that doesn't think this way?

60

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you shouldn't let your parents influence your decision. The only reason you started to think like this is because they put the idea in your head. Just spend time with her and if your not happy when your with her then there is your answer.

I have been in a similar situation, except my friends would always convince me my boyfriend was a not good to me, when I was with them I believed them. I ended up breaking up with him. It was the worst mistake of my life. Its easy to forget all the good things about someone when your away from them and people are talking negatively about them. When your with that person, it can be a whole different story, you forget all the bad things because they make you so happy. Long story short, I have learned my mistake and am now trying to win my ex back which isn't easy. So please don't make a decision unless it is YOUR decision, and yours alone. Your parents are not in the relationship, its none of their business. Make sure you do it because you want to.

What Girls Said 5

• When I start feeling sorry for myself because I can't imagine ever being in a relationship with someone new I just remind myself of last time- Last time my boyfriend and I broke up I felt the exact same way and then 4 months later I met someone new. It didn't work out in the long run but I have that perspective now and I worry less about "who, how, when" of the future.

Your parents did a very loving thing by expressing their honest opinion and putting themselves in a position where you might get very upset with them. Right before my ex and I broke up I had a friend do the exact same thing-apparently a bunch of friends felt the same way but this was the only friend who had the guts to call it like he saw it.

Even though they have expressed concerns don't make any rash decisions. YOU are the one in the relationship and it will be your life if you choose to stay with her. Observe the areas you feel they may be right or wrong, and also communicate with your girlfriend if you realize you share some of the same concerns. Communication is huge. She deserves to know that you will be honest with her and you will learn more about her by her reactions to your communicating your worries!

• It's hard to break up with someone, esp if you want to be in a relationship, but it's better to cut your losses and not settle. I'm sure you can find a better girl. There are tons of decent people in the world. You don't have to be stuck with a gold digger.

• I know! Sometimes, no matter how bad the person is, it is hard to imagine yourself with somebody else. However, there are plenty of girls out there who are not manipulative and such. To have a great relationship you need somebody you can 100% trust and it doesn't seem like that is possible with her. I always have to remind myself not to settle for something and I think you should do the same. Don't settle for someone who isn't everything you have wanted.

• yeah it's wrong for you to think like that... but you are just scarred... I mean some girls date a cheater and then they think they'll always only find a cheater... so it's normal to fear a little of what you are just going through... Just find another women. There's plenty to find, lots of fish in the sea. Ask your friends to hook you up.. that works with me. Ask them to make sure the person has certain reputation-qualities you are looking for. and yeah, 1 year with someone is a long time. I am currently with my boyfriend for a year now... it seems like... it was so much investment in this relationship I don't think either one of us ever wants to give up and keep trying... but some people can't change... I don't know if this helped you at all... :S... good luck anyways. bye

• Trust me, there's a girl out that doesn't think that way. The key is to let her get to know you're personality first, than let her know about whatever you mean by "live comfortably." If she can stand your personality, than that should be good enough for you *as long as you like her back*

What Guys Said 0