Why people break up so much these days?

What's the main reason why people break up these days more frequently that they usually did in the old times?

Why people break up so much these days?

617

What Girls Said 6

• Really? I'm surrounded by friends who have been in 3-4 year long relationships, with myself having been with my boyfriend for 3.5 years, so not really sure what you're basing that statement off of.

There might be less 'stable' relationships across the globe, on average, because:
    -women are no longer 100% financially dependent on men
    -expectations for men and women to live a life where the woman does nothing but cook and raise children, while the man is at work all day, are a thing of the past. Or at least not nearly as common as they once were.

• coz there's more options and means to jump into a new relationship.

• Disposal society we live in.

• So, are you agree with me?
      If I'm with someone I like, and not for money/power/social stats/etc, then I'm with them for THEM and vice versa.
      Why would anyone cheat?

• @DamnMan That is why people break up so no one has to cheat... Yes I agree with you. I stay with my man because I love him not because of what he has.

• Because can't hack it.
    People use to work harder for things than they will now.

• Less tolerant, more doubts

• People's standards have gotten worse over the decades.

• Tired of each other and fights

What Guys Said 17

• From my experience with quite a few girlfriends, its because of the woman. I've always been dumped for being 'too poor'.

So I extend the basic point, as women have 100% of the power in any relatonship where the genders meet. They have been given unrealstic expectations of males by the mass media, and that stirs discontent and leads girls to think that 'they deserve better'.

Also, feminaszism in the mass media is leading women and girls to hate all young men. They dont value us as people, so why should they stay...

Due to womens untouchable high status, they know they can get any male they want. So they may still be asessing/judging other potential mates, as they are now surrounded by desperate guys who flock to them like theyre god or something. And so girls realise the massive gender imballance has lead to her, the girl, having all the choice in the world to swap her partner for someone they deem richer or of higher status. 'Its raining men', unfortunately.

• Interesting point of view. So what would you say is the cure for that? How a man should behave in front of that?

• 7d

Hi! Thanks. I suppose all that points to a big responsibility for women too. But on our side, I think that males have to have a society-wide dialogue with eachother, and change things so that, firstly, they are more open with their experiences, until we all realise that they are mutual, and valid. So the solution has to be global. And to solve the mass media problem, we need nothing short of fullscale revolution.

On a relationship level, I think males need to stop worshipping females. But this can only happen if females stop witholding sex to everyone. Males stay in a relationship mainly so that they have a 'guaranteed' source of sex. If instead, females were sex-positive and gave what they had to others, through universal casual sex, then males wouldn't be in the desperate position of entering a relationship purely for sexual access, but for their affection for the woman. Females have been financially liberated, so their needs have been met. Now, males need to be sexually liberated.

• 7d

I think people treat sex as special not because of the lack of it, but even before that: because they don't have the opportunity to see naked people very often.

If they did they would see that they are just human beings, with sexual desires too, and would start treating it as anything else in their lives.

Furthermore people seem resistant to be affectionate and, for example, hug except in a relationship. No surprise they look for it so hard, because not having one is like not having human warm at all.

• 1. Liberal morals for casual sex make sex less special and leads to cheating.
    2. Society in the USA seems to think the only measure of success in life is based on how much money you have. People become too greedy and selfish and lose value for their SO. They can easily be lured away for financial gain.
    3. Men have been abused financially for generations by women and now if a woman shows signs of being greedy unfair, and selfish, thinking of a man as an ATM, the relationship quickly ends.

Those are the 3 main reasons I know of.

• belief in "be yourself" concept
    tbh this concept is applicable to only a few situations.

we should analyse ourselves , our behaviour towards our partner

and then make good changes in ourselves and we should try to persuade our partner to do the same.

• I think a person can be upfront about what they think, being respectful and sensible at the same time.

• 7d

yes I agree. Most of the time being ignorant of our partner is the greatest mistake in a relationship.

one more cause is the dating concept.

changing girls like a footwear or bag

that's rubbish

a good-looking person can break the relationship because of the dating concept and availability of another partner...

• 7d

love a single person, love it forever

• Because rather than solve issues together it's easier for them to break up and branch to another person

• People treat each other like toilet paper now

• Back then, feelings were bottled up for copious amounts of time and life was much more miserable because staying with the same person was admired way too much

• We dont try to fix stuff today, no we throw it away and get a new.

• Because we're quitters

• One of the reasons people break up so much, is because they get into relationships so quickly. They often start a relationship largely on feelings, and when the feelings die down, the relationship ends. If the relationship if based on something more solid, like mutual paths in life, then the relationship is more likely to last.

• Who said they didn't? Were you there?
    People break up the same as they always did for the same reasons: differences, and incompatibility.

• Actually that's true, I don't have any data to prove that. Do you?

Perhaps I'm living in the dark dot.
      http://i.imgur.com/dep7XIZ.png

• That's divorces, not break ups.
      Divorces are happening because of a shift in cultural mindset.
      Before, people had to stay married for social and economical reasons.
      Nowadays, people can stay married for fun, with little social or economics issues.
      Also, there is no reason for couples to get married, they can have all the love and children they want without a ring.

However, it's proven that single people live shorter lives.

• Have to agree with everyone here. People just don't wana work at relationships.

• I broke up with a girl because she wouldn't stfu about feminism. (Not targeted towards me). everything was offensive, toys, clothes, wages, movies books.

• People change their feelings

• feminism

• I blame TV. Entertainment culture.

• Sexual liberation.

• I think it is because some people rush into relationships too quickly before they discover how compatible they are together - that's why I believe some relationships end with days to weeks or even within months. I think some people just go into a relationship for the sake of it and don't question why they are doing it.

• And why they don't take the needed time?

• I have seen some get into a relationship because it is a opportunity to brag on Facebook and Social Media and to change their status - they do this too early then a week later remove it and the relationship is over.