Does he really love you if he cheats?

Recently broke up with my long time off and on boyfriend. He cheats and constantly inappropriately texts other girls, and lies to my face even when he knows I've already read all the receipts in his phone. But then he swears he loves me so much.. How? Do you think you can love someone but treat them this way?

524

Most Helpful Guy

• If it was only once? Quite possibly. But this is repeated and constant behavior. He's not ready to be in a relationship, serious or otherwise, and he needs to do a lot of introspection

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Repeatedly. Off and on for 8 years, always been his problem. Does good for a while (few months) but eventually always goes back to it. Mostly just sexting and failed attempts at inviting girls to the house this last time around but.. Still considered cheating to me. You don't casually tell other girls all the naughty things you want to do to them but not even speak to your girlfriend like that..

• It's sad but you did the right thing. It wasn't good for you, and facing the consequences of his actions is what's best for him, too. I'm sorry you guys had to break it off, but from where I. I'm standing there wasn't really any other option

• Exactly how I feel right about now. It sucks, because as much as he sucks I still care about him. But at the same time we weren't healthy for one another, obviously. I got all resentful and paranoid at the end because of it, just not worth it at all. Happy to hear it sounds like I did the right thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• I usually say that if he loves you he wouldn't cheat because if he did cheat then the harsh reality is that he didn't really love you.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE