Actual reasons for why men cheat?

I understand that not all men will cheat or step out of their relationship but unfortunately the reality is that the vast majority of them do.

So outside of two of the more obvious reasons which are A) they can and B) they don't believe they will get caught what are some more actual reasons as to why they do such a horrible thing on either a wife/girlfriend?

why do some affairs continue to go on long term when there is a possibility of the man never leaving the wife or his live in girlfriend?

46

Most Helpful Guy

• OK...here's my opinion. Most men don't know who they really are. They think they are supposed to act a certain way and do. They think that if a woman gives them any attention then they are supposed to chase her down and f*** her. Most men are not able to deal with their emotions. They run...they hide from them and instead of being a true man and not letting themselves get into a situation, they try to be some big macho a-hole and ACT in a way that they THINK they're supposed to.

Some married men think that it's OK to have a girlfriend. Their fathers did, so this is what they have learned.

Another opinion is...that men are instinctively...ANIMALS. ANd their brain has not fully evolved. There is an instinct that makes them want to be the alpha male. Like in any herd of animals, the alpha wants to dominate the female species, and mate with all of them. Have you ever noticed when a very beautiful woman walks into a room...almost every guy there pumps up to show that THEY are the alpha...even if they are there with their spouse.

I have never cheated on a girlfriend or wife. That has got to be the worst thing that you could do to the person you love. But, besides my brothers and me...I think every guy friend I know has cheated on their wife/girlfriend.

Women cheat too, but I know that's not your topic today.

What Guys Said 5

• I read an interesting article about why men cheat, and the perspective was very different from the usual. Basically, men who feel insecure or unappreciated by their wife or girlfriend, are more likely to cheat on her. What comes next, might be surprising to people, and especially to the women. Few men who admit to have cheated on their significant other, said it was because the mistress was more attractive. In fact, the vast majority thought their wives and girlfiends were more attractive! Most of the men who admitted to cheating on their wives or girlfriends, said it was because their mistress gave them attention, affection and made them feel appreciated. It seems like both men and women want to be appreciated, shown attention and gratitude. A man wants his woman to treat him like he is special to her, like he matters and is appreciated by her.

• Indeed. Although, I would think this would apply primarily to multiple-year or more relationships, not the college one-month kind. This line of thought would be for a guy that actually likes his girl, not the guy just in it for sex.

• Well I have never cheated before...Believe it or not! But from what I've noticed its really your answer B! But besides that,... I think if a guy cheats they have no more respect for the pesron there with in other words they are just sleezy idiots that want to hump everything they see! No real reason for it they are just shallow and retarded lol

• Congratss and admire you, if you are saying the true, I think that cheaters men or women, doesn't respect the person they are with, that means they doesn't really love them......

• I guess the same reason why so many females let a guy believe that the child he is caring for is his own, they don't care about anyone but themselves.

• 1. Biggest reason of all: can't resist the temptation. We all have times we're in a situation where someone really attractive seduces you and you lose all control. You do want you want in the moment and you don't weigh the consequences. Usually this happens more often with younger guys because they're less mature, more risk taking, don't care about tomorrow, no sense of responsibility, etc... Most married men have a sense of responsibility and a family to maintain and therefore less susceptible to temptation.

2. Not satisfied with current sex life

3. Midlife crisis. A danger that can occur with men who married their high school sweethearts. A guy feels like he missed out on a lot of other opportunities with other women.

There are many other reasons but I think if I ever cheat (I hope not) it will be because of one of these three reasons.

• They get something from it that they don't get from the relationship that they are in...

What Girls Said 4

• I think most men just get bored. Sometimes it's from emotional problems within the relationship or dissatisfaction with their sex life, but I think being with the same person all the time just gets old like having to eat the same meal all the time.

Women get bored, too, and women cheat a lot as well. I just think really stable long term relationships are rare, but they do exist.

And I think there are a lot of men out there who do not cheat as well.

• girl I wish I knew speciall when they tell you that they love you so much and they are always sweet to you...it hard to say sometimes I mean you can probably come up with the typical reasons but sometimes they just can't help themselves and they do really love you and want to be with you. and I know that sounds of the wall but it is true in some cases. and sometimes they do it because they still haven't been fully hit with the love bug and they don't see what they have just yet and until then you either get out or deal with it.

• Well the fact is that Men are not sensitive enough to shy away from things that would hurt the female specie..some men are, but only few of them. You are lucky if you catch one. But if you are with the typical male well it is really in their nature..to get attracted at some point to another female..the issue is really not love but loyalty..A guy can love you from head to toe but still end up doing this..and its too late when the damage has already been done. It is just a matter of how he can control this urges and how you can help him control the urge to cheat... For me and my partner I always let him feel trusted..and that he is not the only guy in the world... So if he gets involved with another girl, I am already gone! Some times men need to realize this things... Like them we are also capable of being attracted to some one else but we are just good at controlling our feelings..

• Humans are a species. Human female are not a different species from males humans. The number of females cheating rivals males. This isn't a male problem but a human problem.

• Maybe they're not happy with their current relationship and someone new and exciting comes along. This happens with long term relationships, you just get tired of each other