Why can't I get over my ex?

I've tried dating others. But every time I hear her name I have a melt down and I just can't get over her. It's been a year now.

422

Most Helpful Girl

• Why the hell would you miss someone who cheated on you repeatedly? You gotta have more self respect and self esteem than that. You obviously deserve better. Just keep telling yourself that.

Most Helpful Guy

• It took me a year to get over a woman before. Eventually you realize the person you once loved is no longer that same person. Even if they were to somehow return to your life things would never be like they once were.

What Girls Said 3

• You just need time and the chance to meet someone better. She was cheating, right? You deserve way better. Time will heal this wound, just keep trying to meet new people and remind yourself of what she did to you until you feel nothing for her.

• because you are not ready to get over her, it sounds naive of me but many of my friends have been through heart break but they get over it with time

• Why did you split?

• She was cheating left right and centre I left her many times and she begged for chances so I kept letting her back. In the end she left me for someone else

• That's definitely rough! What do you miss about her?

What Guys Said 21

• If she hurt you in the past it can stay with you for a long time unless you seek out help and get the problem sorted. After a year you should be okay though so I´d recommend professional help and there´s no shame in needing it. We all do at times.

It´s also about you making a conscious decision that your relationship was what it was and now you´re moving on. A part of you still wants her back and that part is currently dominating your thoughts.

• Everyone has different reasons why they can’t move on and if people say it’s not normal they are lying their ass off or trying to be macho.

It took me almost two years to recover from my ex fiancé and mainly the reason why is because she was my best friend. The main reason why I didn’t move on properly despite trying to drown myself in vices is i had to learn how to forgive myself.

Hating is easy, loving is hard but through love do we find true peace and serenity in our hearts. The answer is facing yourself and forgiving yourself then loving yourself. I hope you find that peace you search for

• It's been four years here.
    Even if you grow some self respect, your feelings will still be there, could be in the form of grudge or hate but they will speak loud.
    Soooo, if you can't get over her... Thats a good thing!
    Why? Well, if your heart has an owner, you are completely free from feeling anything for another girl and that will give you plenty of more action.
    This will bring you confidence, self-esteem and security and in time you will find that you dont need to have feelings for them, it might even bring her back so you can ignore her too.

• Love, is almost impossible to control, but can be successful to chill it down by using couple of methods.

The most known is TIME, it can take YEARS also to make you forget about her and move along, or using other methods like interacting with a lot of different women or going to a peaceful place for 2 days or how much you want and go travel while thinking to your self.

• Time dude, takes time! Just hang in there, take a break from women and enjoy your time with yourself and your friends. That worked for me!

• Wish it was that simple. Cause that's all I've done

• Mate it took me so many years to get over someone and I'm over them now! My last ex, 1 year 5 months. It feels good and it's horrible but it takes more than a year and a lot of partying

• Just drink 5 bottles of liquor that should fix it lol but seriously just don't worry about it more you worry about hearing your ex's name the more you melt down it's easier to just pretend nothing happened between you and your ex then to remember her at all trust me when I say this because I got over my girlfriend breaking up with me in 2 weeks but then again she was a real gold digger. So just don't worry about it more you worry about it the more excitable you'll get when you hear her name which is causing you to melt down

• You need to get some self respect dude and get over her. Seriously man grow some balls. You've been crying over the same woman for a year? I think it's time to get professional help. That woman doesn't even exist any more and she's probably fucked half a dozen dudes in that time.

• More than half a dozen mate. honestly we're talking 50 at least. That's all she did when I wasn't there. A different guy every night. It was the personality I loved though. I've had counselling and that it just doesn't work

• How can you like the personality of someone who is literally such a slut? Dude the problem you have is that you don't have any respect for yourself, you think you basically deserve a stupid bitch like this. Pull your head in man you deserve more than that. Think about all of the relationships and awesome people you have missed crying over some silly bitch for an entire year. Find a different counselor if your current one isn't working.

• I havnt actually cried over anyone else

• How long were you in that relationship?

• You will never forget her. I still remember all my exes. I miss them. But I would never start over. It's just that I miss the old times, the good times. Now I have nothing good. But, it will all get better, don't worry. Find a hobby or a workplace where you can just do something withouth having to think. It works wonders.

• wow dude, i feel for you,
    I was the same a few years back.
    It is chemicals in brains , they say, that will not let us think rationally, it took me longer then a year to become normal again :D
    I laugh at my self now, but it was hard.

It is hard to explain the feeling to people who never experienced it

• Sometimes you can never get over it. If your in love it's just how it is. The way you cope with it is your choice and depending on how you cope it can take longer or shorter

• Because you're weak? Seriously, toughen up. Life is all about pain. Most relationships between young people end. You either learn to live with it or you don't.

• Because your a dumb ass when you close that door close it don't look back bet your having sex with the loser over is over move on

• Probably because you won't shut up about her

• You absolutely can do nothing about your feelings, it’s not something that you would ever control. Live with that.
    All you can do is to stick to your decision and keep yourself busy n avoid her news , time should help : )

• You should get to a therapist

• Bcoz u r an idiot wasting ur future for noone. Yes, it is hard but buddy u gotta do ur best to forget her, and use only positive medium to replace her.

• Need more context, How did it end? Do you two still talk?

• We don't talk. She was cheating on me the whole 2 years we were together. I left her a few times but kept letting her back. She left me for someone else

• Because u don't want to gets ovr

• Take a break and meditate

• Is bcoz you love her too much