How long should a wait to date/have sex after an emotionally crippling marriage fails?

I waited 36 years to get married because I wanted to wait for the right one. I thought I found her. Dated for a year and then got married. After almost 2 years she just up and left while I was at work. No explanation or anything. I haven't had any sexual relations with anyone since her, not even gone on a date. I'm at about 15 months right now. Help/suggestions welcome!

615

Most Helpful Girl

• When my marriage ended after 15 years I wanted nothing to do with love. But after 6 months I thought there would nothing wrong with just dating and having fun. I made it clear to anyone I dated that I wasn't looking for a relationship. It was the best thing I could have done. A year and a half later still just dating I met my now fiance. Although I didn't want love the heart wants what it wants no matter how much you fight it. I know heartbreak sucks but you will let yourself love again. I know it's a big risk but think of all the good times you had in love. So she wasn't right for you. But someone is and yoyr heart will know. Until then having some fun and find yourself again.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• It is wrong to ask this opinion for no one can tell how you should feel. It is uniquely for you to know. i always resembled breakups to a form of grief. An emotion that everyone processes differently. When my marriage of nearly 21 years broke up. My first reaction was to run far away. To a place where I was unknown and free from people offering unwanted advice/thoughts.

As for sex, it depends on the emotions you attach to it. if you are fine with being casual you need to realise you still have needs. as for relationships, be open to them for you do not want to miss a chance for happiness. But be brutally honest with yourself and potential partners. Knowing you cannot love again till your wounds are healed and you love yourself

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • It's been 13 months since my wife left and 15 since I've had sex. I definitely miss it lol! But I also don't want to deal with more heartache, nor do I have the slightest idea how to approach someone for casual sex... Life, am I right? 😕

• Being so far from home, not really anyone to hang out with, it's hard to meet people. It looks like I may have to find another pool team to join! Thanks a million for talking and giving me your 2 cents!

• You take care and if you need a crutch to lean on feel free to hit me up