Is there more to the break up? Should I just move on and wait for him to regret it?

My ex broke up with me suddenly two weeks after our one year anniversary. He was hysterical when he did It saying he knew he was going to regret It He also had just moved to Brooklyn. His two roommates are single & have a big influence. He always reassured me that the move wouldn’t change anything. It was very unexpected. He said that he has had doubts about our relationship since the beginning, he said there would be sparks then there wouldn’t. He said that at times he wanted to say I love you but didn’t. That he didn’t see a future with me yet he mentioned a future with me multiple times on his own. When people would mention marriage he would freak out. He recently admitted to me that he has depression. There were never any signs that something was wrong. Our relationship came out of no where. It was his first in years and the longest he’s had. He’s 26. He surpasses his emotions and says that no one really knows him. He says right girl wrong time. He doesn’t know what the future holds for us and that there is hope. I wanted to be friends and then realized that It wasn’t a good deal so I haven’t contacted him. He contacted me four times since our break up but I haven’t heard from him after I didn’t respond to a text he sent saying he doesn’t want me to have hope. Do I continue no contact or should I reach out eventually just to keep things civil. Is he scared of commitment? I do love him.
2
3