Would you be friends with you Ex?

Things ended in your relationship would try and maintain a friendship with them? If so how would you go about it. Especially if the person seems to be unresponsive.

• Yes, I would try to be friends
  • No, I wouldn’t try to be friends
  • I would cut off all contact and move on
    Vote C
  • I would be friends but keep my distance
    Vote D

89

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how the breakup was. My first boyfriend an I broke up only because of distance, and I think we could be friends if we happened to live in the same place. My most recet ex is a horrible person and I never want to have any contact with him ever again.

Most Helpful Guy

• Me and my ex haven't spoken since her birthday where I texted saying happy birthday, and before that it was a couple months. I haven't seen her since July last year when I broke up with her. I wanted to remain friends but after her reaction and what she said a week after we broke up made me realise that wasn't gunna happen. Now she has a new boyfriend, but I have no interest in trying to be friends and I don't think she does either. I've blocked her on basically everything after she started annoying me, saying stuff about wanting me back and how she's changed and stuff.

So I'd say I'm very much in the "cut off contact" group :P

I don't think you can go back to being friends after an intense/romantic relationship, it'll always be different.

What Girls Said 7

• I haven't voted.. For me this depends on the relationship you had with them.. If it was real love and still is.. I think it'll hurt too much to be friends.. At least for a while.. But if the feelings both faded over time.. Then I think friends is more of an option..

Also depends on the break up in some cases

• Never works for me. I tried once. We used to end up getting into old patterns , being jealous of each other’s new dates... discussing old issues. Bad idea

• Once i am done in a relationship i am done.

• No, I'd move on completely

• I definitely wouldn't try to be friends with my ex. He put me through so much hell during and after our relationship that I legit became depressed.

• Heck no i wouldn't

• I was, friends with my ex. We ended on good terms with me coming out as a lesbian. He was really supportive.

What Guys Said 8

• It depends. One of mine is a good friend, even after we were not in touch for years and she earlier helped me when I had relationship troubles with the woman I was seeing after she and I broke up (now that is a nice ex!). I've also hung out with another one after we were no longer together.

The rest weren't candidates for that for geographical or other reasons (grew apart).

• Well give the girl space and then try to reach out to her. If she responds good if not then give up or talk with her in person.

• In general, i withdraw into myself and cut all contact forever. But. If she ever desperately needed my assistance, then i would still be there.

• Nope. I wouldn’t do it. Why? How are you going to respond when they start dating someone else? You might think you can handle it but trust me to see a woman with a new guy and you used to have sex with her is just bad bad bad. The best thing to do is cut your losses and move on.

• Nah. I've been trolling my ex for the last couple weeks cause she keeps contacting even though she's got a new boyfriend

• Depends how much I liked her at the time.

• No, I found it easier to move on when you cut all bridges with your ex

• Me and my ex are still very close. She is my best friend, as the mother of our children.