Once a cheater always a cheater?

I've cheated on an ex a long time ago and I loved him. Now I've been in this relationship for a year and a half and I would never cheat on my boyfriend. So I don't think it's true. Do you think it's true? Please explain.

34

Most Helpful Guy

• I doubt you'll cheat this time. You have a son with this new guy. We learn from our mistakes. I've never cheated, but we can never fully understand why someone does. There are many reasons. But there really is no reason to start thinking negative. Love what you have, not worry about the unknown.

What Guys Said 3

• You're 17. I'd expect you to be about as able to commit to someone and keep a monogamous relationship as a tomato.

People don't stop being idiots until about 22.

• What about the older people that cheat?

• Well, generally people don't stop being idiots til about 22, but a lot of people continue to be idiots well beyond that. I'd say it's fair to think anyone who's cheating after their mid-20s is always gonna be a cheater, or at the very least will have to prove themselves to be otherwise, because they no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.

• once a cheater, always a cheater? no.

but I think it's foolish to trust a cheater a second time. let someone else be their experiment in monogamy.

• nah I've cheated on most of the girls I've dated but the girl I'm with now I'm completely faithful too...its a lie I think

What Girls Said 3

• No it's not true. I cheated on my ex boyfriend and we was together for a year and 5 months, it was a long distance relationship so it was stressful and he became paranoid and controlling, and I went for comfort with another guy who I liked before I got with my boyfriend, he knew we was going through a rough patch and he knew I liked him and he took advantage. But it was the biggest mistake of my life I wish I could take it back but I cant, we learn form our mistakes and that's what I've done. So no I don't believe in once a cheat always a cheat

• There are always exceptions to the rule

• I don't think this statement is true. If you truly love someone you wouldn't want to hurt them. Maybe your love for them wasn't as much as you thought which is why you cheated.