If he isn't clear about his intentions, is it safe to assume they're bad?

I got coffee with my ex the other day (just as friends) after he messaged me out of the blue asking how I was and saying he was sorry for hurting me two years ago when we broke up. We talked for over 5 hours about life, politics, philosophy, mutual friends, future plans. He kept trying to keep the conversation going and insisted on coming with me when I went to get dinner. After all he put me through, I just wanted to know that he actually respects me, and I initially got that vibe, but there was also this nagging suspicion I had that he only wanted to meet up because he was "out of other options" so to speak, and just wanted sex. I told him about an hour in that I was seeing someone, and he still stuck around for four hours after though. He still isn't being clear about his intentions though, which leads me to think he ultimately just wants sex (If he wanted me back he'd just say it, right?). Note: we did not have sex.
1
1