Will my ex come back?

First off, he broke up with me. We dated for six months exactly, and at the end, he told me the feeling just faded away; he didn't feel for me like that. I asked him if he was sure, or if it was because of all the stress that had piled up on him during the last few days alone (red light ticket, no financial aid for school, maybe can't graduate from college, etc.), and he said no, he just lost the feeling.

So we broke up. it's been a month and a half. We planned on staying friends, but after we broke up, we didn't speak for a month. Eventually, he messaged me first asking if we could talk. We hit it off again and talked like we used to - both while we were dating and while we were just good friends. It felt nice, we both agreed.

He started spiraling into a bit of depression and admitted that he missed me and he was stupid for ruining everything. He was regretting what he did and he asked me things like "If I were at your doorstep right now, would you take me back?" I told him I would, but that we would talk first to figure out how we would deal with the problems that drove us apart. We talked about our relationship - what went wrong, what happened, etc. Then that was it for a bit.

A few days ago, he said this while we were talking, exactly this:

I definitely do miss you

a lot

There's a part of me inside

that wants to say

I love you

please come back

I miss having you in my bed

sleeping at night

just knowing you were there

waking up and you'd be there

And then there's the other half of me that makes almost the exact opposite choices

It's riddled with the negatives

The realities of the troubles and hardships

and the rough times ahead

And I don't know what I want.

And I don't know what's best for me.

I told him I would take him back. Gladly. That I'm willing to work through the rough times with him and I would stay by his side because I still love him and I will always love him (either as a friend or as something more). I told him I'm not putting my life on hold for him - if someone else comes my way and I can be happy with that other person, I'm going to take that route. At the end of our talk, he said, "Well, if I'm too late, then I'll just have to live with that."

I don't know what to do. I'm so confused. I don't know what else I can do to reassure him that to me, he's amazing and wonderful (he has low self-worth/esteem). I think I've done everything I can, and I just have to wait to see if he'll come back to me. At the same time, though, I'm living my life and I'm trying to not let it get to me too much. I am hoping, but I have to keep on living, too.

I don't know what to do. Do you think he'll ask to come back? What should I do to let him know that I want to try again?
+1 y
He asked to talk on webcam yesterday. We talked about fun things and eventually our relationship. He said at the end, "Yeah, you shouldn't take me back." and then "The only thing I didn't deserve was to have someone like you who cared so much for me."
Will my ex come back?
2
1