Why can't I Forget About My Past Abusive Relationship?

I will get straight to the point as it would be a long story to tell but I was in an abusive relationship from grade 8-10. This guy was my very first long term relationship and also my first intimate relationship. He was very emotionally and verbally abusive towards me and very controlling. Although i wouldn't say he was physically abusive he did push me a couple of times. We broke up in grade 10 and its been 4 years since we broke up and to this day for some reason he still affects me. I got rid of everything he gave me and everything that reminded me of him and even have gone to counselling twice and wrote a journal to get my feelings out but for some reason it still feels like he has some type of affect on me and my life. We go to complete different universities and I dont have him on fb or any type of social media. I honestly have no idea what to do and I really want to forget and focus on my life now and my current relationship who I have been with for two years now but I can't stop dwelling on the past. What should I do? I have no idea.
Why can't I Forget About My Past Abusive Relationship?
Add Opinion