I just broke up with my boyfriend, was it for the right reason?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year. We've been long distance for about half of that. He is my best friend and I truly love him and I know he loves me. But since we've started long distance it has been harder on me than I thought it would be. He said its been okay with him the whole long distance thing, but for me its been hell. I've just missed him so much. So for weeks now I've been contemplating breaking up because I thought it would help to just not be dating and move on instead of missing someone you live and don't know when you'll see again. Tomorrow is my birthday and I decided I should break up with him. I need age and a new start. So earlier today I broke up with him. It was horrible, I ahted every second of it. I cried and he cried. We are still talking, but just as friends. We are talking about borders to be set. At first we had said to not talk at all, that that would make it easier. But we've talked ever day for the past year and more. And so to suddenly stop would be hell. In the shower I was thinking about my reasons for break up. And so this is what I've come up with. I broke up with him not because I no longer live him, because I still live him a lot. But because I can't stand being away from someone I'm dating. For me dating is three things; love, friendship, and finally physical touch. He and I only have the first two. Its very difficult for us to visit eachother. And so I've decided, it is better to be friends at this moment in time. Because friends don't need the physical aspect. I'm not sure if this makes sense. Or if I broke up for the right reasons. thoughts?
1
2