Do women ever mean it when they say they're breaking up with you "because they need to focus on themselves"?

Also, even though the break up ended on good terms, did you completely cut ties with your ex because maintaining even a friendship would have prevented you from focusing on yourself? I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm just curious because it's somewhat cliche, and ultimately leaves the other party questioning whether that was the real reason. I've been told this reason once, and now a couple of my friends have been told the same thing. In my case, she was approaching 30 and said she realized she had been so dependent on relationships her whole life that she had never taken the time to figure out what she wanted and was now almost having a mid life crisis. While our break up ended on good terms, she completely cut ties with me after this, and I often wonder why it had to be that way? So ladies, have you ever broken up with a guy you loved because maintaining a relationship wasn't fair to either of you when you needed to "figure out what you want for yourself in life." And how did you handle it afterwards? Did you regret it at all?
13
11