A break? After 6 months of dating?

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for 6 months and we have a what I thought was a great relationship... I have a lot going on in my life with my mother sick with cancer.. but he has been a great supporter through my up and down days... we’ve been into one disagreement during our relationship... then outta the blue he says that we should take a break lasting 4 months it’s to evaluate if we really want to commit for a lifelong future with each other... during that 4 months he wants me to focus all my energy and time for my mother... he doesn’t want to see other people... I have so many mixed feelings about this break because it just came now outta no where like one day he woke up a different person and I’m just in total shock and heart break.. we have a day set to talk about this... but as of right now I already feel like he is disconnected? How does this happen overnight? I’m driving myself crazy over wondering what went wrong what did I do? He comes from pretty broke relationships that broke him pretty bad.. he says this is something different he wants to try so that we can last a lifetime... and he is 37 years old so I don’t think he is playing games he genuinely is a great guy! Please help! I almost feel like this is the time I need him most and is it maybe to much for him to handle?
A break? After 6 months of dating?
Add Opinion