Why were we so nervous?

Long story short, really loved this guy but the distance made everything harder so he broke up (understandable I couldn't do it either in the long run). Tried to be friends with him and talk after that and failed. I let go of talking to him so we didn't talk for 3 months. I'm friends with his sister so when I went to her house on the holidays I saw him for the first time again (while being around my other friends) I felt so shy and awkward when I saw him , although we both said hi and he smiled at me widely. He has a new girlfriend but still I could hear in his voice that he was nervous when talking casually to his sister. I was just quiet and didn't know whether to say anything. My friend said he was looking at me from time to time. Why when he moved on did he not try to ask me something more to make it less awkward ( like how I was or just general stuff). I could feel we were both slightly nervous but why would he be when he moved on and is dating someone else already? I didn't feel like going up to him and hug him to say hi ( don't want to scare him thinking im desperate). I wish we could talk normally again :(
Why were we so nervous?
Add Opinion