Who gets the apartment if you and your SO break up and you both pay rent?

Living together

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Whoever can afford to live there by themselves or if both names are on the lease, whoever pays the most including other expenses , now if expenses are split 50/50, then maybe decide by convenience like for example, is the apartment more close to your job or your SO's job kind o thing.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Whoever's names it's in. In our situation, we're both on the lease and I would be the one to move out. His brother lives with us so it'd make little sense for me and his brother to live together and him to move out or for me to live here and both of them move out. It'd be most convenient for me to move out and them two to stay here.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• I think it should be discussed with each other, if he doesn't have anywhere to go for a while and you do, maybe you should let him keep it, let the landlord know, and vice versa, if you both don't have anywhere to go, maybe you can try to just be roommates until one of you finds somewhere to stay

0|1
    0|0
  • When you are paying rent?
    Who ever wants to continue paying rent, offcourse... divide up the furniture and one of you will move out, the apartment is not yours after all, when you are renting

0|0
    0|0
  • Rock-paper-scissors?

Seriously however, the one whose name is on the rental contract has the ownership of the place.

1|1
    0|0
  • Depending on the area. Legally the one who paid the security deposit. If you both split, then you have to figure it out

0|0
    0|0
  • The person who was living in it from the beginning not the one who moved in

0|1
    0|0
  • Play rock paper sicciors shoot best out of three and see who wins.

1|0
    0|0
  • draw straws, figure out who may have an easier time moving, or both move.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who ever wants it. I tend to jist walk away from everything when it is time to go

0|0
    0|0
  • The one whose name is on the lease.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who's name is it in?

0|0
    0|0
  • Whose name is on the lease

0|0
    0|0
  • 50/50?

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess whoever can still pay the full amount on their own or the lease is in

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• First - is the lease in both names or just one. If just one, then the one who has the name on the lease gets to stay. If both, then you have to decide which person has a better chance of getting a new place sooner? or trying making a deal of living together without being together until someone can move out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who ever broke up the relationship should bite the bullet and move out

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, depends on who’s name it’s under if it’s not under both of you. Who pays the majority of the bills and who could more easily afford it.

0|0
    0|0
  • For starters who wants it and who's name is on the tenancy. It's important to behave like adults and do what's best for both.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who's name is on the rental agreement as the main? That's who gets it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Whoever's name it's in. If it's in both your names you have to discuss it between yourselves

0|0
    0|0
  • Whoever can't tolerate each other.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes