What is to blame for the abysmal divorce rate?

• Feminism
  • Legal System
  • Decay of Morals
    Vote C
  • Selfishness
    Vote D

215

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a lot of people espicially women are more worried about the wedding rather than the actual marraige so they get engaged and of course she has to have a big expensive ring that he can barely afford, then they spend 10 years working hard and saving for a big wedding day, then after the honey it's back to reality and the find themselves paying off huge wedding debt, they likely have student loan debt, they have a mortgage to pay so they spend most of their time working to pay those debts and rarely see each other, then kids come a long. Eventually they grow apart. Also I think a lot of people are very self centred these days and are very quick to run off with someone else the first opportunity they get. Unfortunately most divorces are instigated by women. So many divorced men thought everything was ok in their marraige until they were handed the divorce papers. I guess a lot of women see divorce as a way to start a new exciting life while still keeping their kids and still being supported finacially by their ex husband's through alimony and child support.

• Wow! That graphic is amazing and between it and your text you've pretty much totally captured the last 6 years of my older kids lives! That you're so insightful leads me to think that you have experienced it. I feel sorry for your pain, but you've remembered the most important thing - dad will always be there for you... :)

• Amazing to see a woman who admits this. Thank you. I think you are a great person.

Most Helpful Guy

• As a divorcee I have to say I think it's a combination. I think it would be a bit misogynistic to blame feminism. Ultimately she could still be a feminist and be satisfied in her marriage... I think in some ways there are aspects of the legal system that don't help but again I doubt whether someone would get divorced simply because they think they'll be better off as a single parent - divorce is a bit like financial suicide... Decay of morals? Maybe more that than any of the others. After all the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Nowadays divorce is not unusual and relationships seem to be viewed as a more fluid temporary arrangement than before. If anyone does critise your choice to divorce you can always imply your ex was unfaithful or domestically abusive etc etc... Selfishness is I believe the biggest factor today.