How do I explain to my kids mommy isn't coming home?

My wife cheated and walked out on me and the kids. She told me it's better if the kids stay with me. My kids are 4, 5, and 7. The two younger ones are having a hard time understanding mommy isn't coming back. Breaking up is hard enough, but I feel like I have to put my emotions in check.

2029

Most Helpful Girls

• You could comfort them and please, be patient. When my mother told me that my father left her, she wasn't patient and i was devastated

• As the day has gone on I know my youngest doesn't understand. My 5 yr old I don't think fully understands and there might be a bit of denial.

• Then wait until they are a bit older, they will understand. I know it feels overwhelming and telling your children that their mother left you and her kids in the future when they are fully mature is a good idea instead telling them at a young age because they might not understand. You got this and wish you well

• Im so sorry to hear your situation, it must be so hard trying to keep it together right now for those kids. But you can do it.
    When they ask where she is tell them she's gone away for awhile (unless you know she won't randomly pop back up eventually) if they ask why just say she wanted to be alone. If they ask why just simply say you dont really know, but you wish you did
    Dont tell them she's a no good rotten bitch who cheated and left them. you're probably really hurting right now and saying mean things can be easy, but for your children's sake dont talk bad about her around them. They won't understand and it will just hurt them more.
    As they get older you can tell them the full truth but at these ages and with it being so sudden i would just keep it simple for them.
    Be there for you kids, but also make sure to take care of yourself too. Its going to be hard to deal with all this, but you can do it.

Most Helpful Guys

• This is a great opportunity to teach your kids about loss. I personally think the best way is to tell them honestly that she isn't coming back. Don't tell them exactly what happened, but it's important that they don't hold out for even a chance of her coming back. Hope this helps!

• This is the answer.

Stupid woman telling the man to lie to his kids. Smh.

• Kids are way more cleaver than we realize, in fact, generally, kids are more observant of important things, than adults, because adults have been taught dumb shit is more important, than real stuff your kids are picking up on, like emotional harmony and stress and security of peoples interactions around them. They adjust. No family is perfect. You actually have no idea if she will change her mind, ask for full custody or what, seen it happen all the time, when couples separate I just know they rarely see things the same way.
    Don’t teach them mommy is a bad person and you are good, don’t go down that road, as the parent who does that will ultimately lose the whole thing, respect and they relationship, eventually.
    Just be there for them and get her to talk on Skype with them. She doesn’t have any motherly instinct at all in her? I have heard about these women but as soon as I meet them, they actually love their kids