What to do if your boyfriend is depressed?

My boyfriend of almost a year is depressed and said he just feels like he’s lost touch with himself. He feels like he can’t commit to moving forward with me until he figures himself out. He said he feels like a shell. He told me he feels like he has let me down bc he can’t give me an exact time frame on when he’ll feel better. I said I want you to be happy and I want the old person back. He said I know and that’s why I’m going to see a counselor. He told me he doesn’t want me to put my life on hold for him. I said I’m not. I said well maybe it’s best for you to figure your life out and I will leave you to do that. He said well why does that have to happen. Why can’t we have lunch and talk on the phone? I can keep you up to date with how things are going. I said ok I’ll let you know if that gets to be too hard for me and he said ok. I’m just broken hearted. What is the best thing to do? I can’t stand the thought of not talking to him. I want to be there and help him and not lose touch. But i also realize he might not make a decision if I’m in the wings. I just want to do whatever is best to help him get better/come around.
What to do if your boyfriend is depressed?
Add Opinion