Moving to NEW YORK. I need info please.

Hello all, thank you for your time and responses.

I am seriously considering moving to New York after I graduate. I am currently applying to internships for the summer to work with the Guggenheim, Tankees, Mets, Knicks, and other companies.

My question is: Should I have no more than $4,000 dollars to my name, and a job, would a college graduate be able to move up there on his own? I have heard different theories as to how much it costs to live in NY and I am trying to get a better idea.

Thanks again. :)

41

Most Helpful Girl

• You might want to save more money for the move. It's an expensive place. Small spaces to live in, but you can always make it cozy. If you're getting your own apartment, definitely save more. Landlords may want money in advance or may want you to have a steady paycheck coming in every month. And you don't want to be anxious all the time, worrying about earning more money as you see it disappearing week-after-week, day-after-day. You want to be prepared. It won't be a good experience if you just go there and try making it the hard way. Roommates can help cut down the amount of money you'll have to pay for rent. But $4,000? It'll all be gone within 2/3/4 months, and that's if you're really good with your money. Find a **STABLE** job first if you haven't already (in which case, awesome), and do something on the side if you want extra cash, then come on over to the greatest city ever :) You can do it for sure. I'm thinking about striking it out on my own as well, and have been doing considerable research for the past two years. Of course, I don't know all there is to know. Just my opinion. And yeah, welcome

What Girls Said 3

• New York is very expensive, so your $4,000 is quickly going to dry up. Make sure you find a job first because you won't find rent for less than (I mean the size of a closet for a bedroom) for $1,000/month. And that's if you split it between 3-4 people.

Find a job first otherwise you won't like New York.

• NY is an expensive place! Save more and look online and/or ask real estate agents about the price. It's an awesome place though so welcome if you come!

• yes you can. but you need to prepare for the possibility that you won't find a job pertaining to your major and that you're have to work for minimal wage at a fast food joint in order to make ends meet. new york is one of the most expensive cities, especially when it comes to housing.

• I've heard NYU and Columbia offer cheaper housing within their dorms if there are available. And with most of the internships that I am applying for (and trust me, there are plenty of them) being either unpaid or offering only a small stipend, I anticipate working a side job as a server or something...since this will only be for about 3 months or so, at most.

• You won't get a dorm at the colleges esp if you're not a student. The students themselves have a hard time getting a dorm after their freshman year. There just isn't enough dorm for their students as it is.

What Guys Said 1

• TANKEES IS RIGHT. Tanked in the ALCS. Gonna tank next season too!

• It's funny because I didn't mean to type that but they did, in fact, tank this year haha.