Boyfriend broke up w/ me due to stress out of NOWHERE?

Hi! My (former) boyfriend and I had been together for about 8 months. We are both in college but he is a senior which means he is graduating this year. He lives far away, so is going back home for the summer (3 months) but is planning to come back to our college after summer for Grad School.

We had an amazing relationship. We fell in love slowly yet very deeply. We always made each other laugh and had amazing physical chemistry. sometimes he would go out of his way to help me. There would be times where we would fight, of course, and break up for a few hours. During those hours he would be begging for me back, and obviously I’m so in love with him, I didn’t want to let him go. Other than that, though, we were very in love and best friends.

We’ve ignored the thought of him going back home at the end of May. didn’t talk about it much. The past 2 weeks before he broke up with me he was more in love with me than ever. He would hold onto me with tears in his eyes saying “I don’t want to let you go, I need you in my life.” And even suggest things for the summer like staying at home for a shorter time. We never came to a solid conclusion because we ended up crying and kissing because we loved each other so much.

Last week he had his formal dance for his fraternity. We got into the biggest fight we ever did. It turned very toxic, we both were yelling and said things we didn’t mean. He told me he wanted me to go to his house to sleep just so he knew I’d be safe. When we got there he kept holding me and crying saying he didn’t want to let me go and he needed me in his life.

The next day he asked to talk. I thought it was just going to be a normal talk but he broke up with me. He said he needs space/ time and is so stressed about school/not having a job. Begging pushed him further away. He says he still loves me. Now we are 2 days no contact. I miss him but I know I must use this time to be alone. I’m just so confused. Do feelings really change overnight?
4
0