Needed to have a proper goodbye?

I've recently (2 months) have broken up with a boyfriend in which I have been in a gay relationship with. He had already within days of our breakup started dating another and has apparently moved on but tried maintaining a friend's with benefits relationship with me. I finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't able to properly heal because of this. So the night before last I invited him over to insist that he respectfully and properly tell me goodbye for good. I no longer wanted to have a sexual anything with him anymore. He refused to say goodbye and insisted on being friends but I knew in my heart he was being selfish and unwilling to allow me to heal and move on. ... he then became very angry and attacked me physically by putting me in a headlock and nabbing his car keys into my scalp. I couldn't fight back because I had gone into full asthma attack from the excitement. Should I have filed a restraining order or even have called the cops. I'm not a cop caller unless someone is dying or something drastic?
Needed to have a proper goodbye?
Add Opinion