She decided to end the engagement, Why hasn't she sent the ring back yet?

-Long distance relationship, both have been planning it from the beginning, since more than 2 years so I went to her country, met her parents, proposed her with a family heirloom ring. -She accepted it in joy - 3-4 months after the engagement, she broke it off, mainly due to trust issues - 20 days after break up, I asked her amicably, and she told "it can't be rebuilt again, the damage is done" and about the ring "I will send it back of course". Near-complete silence afterwards. - 3.5 months after the break up, I asked again, this time in a strict, formal way when she is planning to send it back. She replied immediately "I'm sorry I had a tough time recently, of course I will send it back. I have it packed already. I replied "thanks" and that's all. -It has been 20 days since this conversation and nothing happened yet. It has been over 4 months after she broke up. What can be the reason? laziness/being busy or keeping the doors open for a future reconsideration?
It was my mother's ring and she knew it and got overwhelmed about it even before I brought it to her. Also she knows that I'm not rich and the economical level of our countries are more or less the same. so I don't know if she would wait for 2.5 years just for a ring's worth of financial gains. Plus since it is already a second hand ring from 80s, jewelery stores wouldn't buy it for more than a couple of hundred bucks. She still hasn't removed my relatives on social media yet.

1013

Most Helpful Girls

• If you met her parents and have a good relation with them maybe it is time to ask for their help. If she broke off the engagement maybe she is super depressed. Things like even walking to the post might seem a struggle to her. Perhaps sending them a kind note telling them you have concern over the young lady and possible depression, but also asking assistance with this small task might work. Don't criticize. But be friendly.

It sounds like you are from traditional places and a parents approval would be paramount. Involvong them might ensure the rings swift return to save the parents face.

• Yes her parents are rather traditional but they don’t speak English, that’s why I don’t have their personal mobile numbers. I have her one older sister on social media, we never deleted each other. My last contact with her sister was on Easter, I celebrated it and she answered short but friendly as well. However she looks like she wouldn’t like to get into our issues with my ex-fiancée.

• Asking about the ring will drive her to someone else.

No one will miss you unless you give them the opportunity to.

• For the record when i initially answered i believed the engagement being off was final. My thoughts have changed a bit the more you have shared

• " I never hated men enough to give him diamonds back" Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Maybe she wants to keep it in memory box.
    Maybe she wants to keep it because it is valuable, or she is planning to sell it.
    It just doesn't seem like she is gonna send you back ring.

Tehniqually it is her ring.

• No technically is not her ring. It would be her ring, if it was a new one bought specifically for the occasion of the engagement. That's not the case though. He stated that the ring is a family heirloom. That's a completely different case. The ring belongs to the the guy's family and since she has canceled the engagement, she is not family any more. She must return it, out of decency.

• @Kabluie In that case don't do it anymore. Find other ways to propose if giving/ borrowing something that expensive to someone

• It was my mother's ring and she knew it and got overwhelmed about it even before I brought it to her. Also she knows that I'm not rich etc. so I don't know if she would wait for 2.5 years just for a ring's worth of financial gains. Plus since it is already a second hand ring from 80s, jewelery stores wouldn't buy it for more than a couple of hundred bucks. I just dont know...

Most Helpful Guys

• i think she's lying and you'll ever get the ring back. it's already been 4 months, if someone really wanted to give something back, it's really not that hard to just quickly stop by the local courier retail service to ship it back and continue on with their day. even if they're busy with work and it's closed by the time they get out of work, there's always 1-2 days per week that they don't have to work, even with she's busy on her day off it still shouldn't even take a month, let alone 4 months.

i guess either keep waiting or fly back there to see if you can get it back in person, it's really the only 2 options right now. but then again if she really doesn't want to give it back, even if you fly back there she can always bullshit you and say she shipped it back already or the mail/package was lost during transit so she can't do anything about it.

• She probably doesn't want to return the ring. You need to tell her she needs to return that ring because it's a family heirloom or you will file a civil lawsuit against her. She broke off the engagement, the ring is rightfully yours. Either you will take more forceful measures like filing a lawsuit if she doesn't return it. Tell her that you give her two weeks and if you do not have it by the end of the second week, you will be filing a civil lawsuit against her for the ring or financial compensation if she "lost" the ring.