He told me he loves me but left why?

We met at a bbq and hung out a few weeks together then spontaneously went to Hawaii together. from the start he has told me he’s not looking for anything. I wasn’t either but we enjoyed our time together. After a while somehow we started dating and he called me his girlfriend. Took me to hangout with his friends, he even confessed to his good friend that he was in love with me and that Iam the one. I also meet half of his family for Thanksgiving. Throughout those few months of dating he claims that I was the best girlfriend he has ever had. Well 5 months into the relationship I have notice he became distant when he went to visit his family. He would usually call me when we weren’t around each other to just talk to me. Even come back home a day early from work trips cause he says he misses me. The day I notice things were off I asked what’s going on. He avoided my question for a few days then later called me to ask me if I wanted something serious because he doesn’t want anything serious. As in marriage. I never pushed for marriage and thought it was strange that this came out of the blue. Well to speed things up. He talked to me about us breaking up and wanted to know when’s a good time to end things. Me being selfish and scared of losing him. I told him let’s see where it goes. He also agreed. Three months later he became distant. I then knew exactly why and now we are broken up. I asked him why and he told me he felt like he hit mid life crisis and he’s busy with work and Feels like he should live the rest of his last few years in his twenties because throughout his 20’s he been in relationships. But why now? Why wait so long to do this? Did he never love me and kept me around for the sex? Iam confuse as of why he did a 360? I felt lied too and betrayed. I never pressured him for anything. Was this a lie? Is this normal? Was this never love? Why confess his love to his friend and tell me he loves me but to just shatter me in the end? Is he gone forever?
He told me he loves me but left why?
Add Opinion