Break up with a great guy because you're not in love?

I'm dating a great guy, but there's something missing - I don't love him. I haven't been able to fall in love with anybody though, so I'm wondering if I should keep looking for that special someone, to get that feeling, or if I'm being silly & should stay with him if I've been lucky enough to find such a sweet guy. any thoughts/experiences?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• Wow.

I was exactly in the same position as you. I'm really surprised to see someone is too... I broke up with my ex because of this reason. I like her and she's great, funny, smart, pretty and all that.. Oh and the perfectist p**** You have EVER seen. No joke. lol I never seen one make me turn into a p**** eating beast... ANYWAY lol, she was a great girl, but one of the biggest reasons I broke it off with her was because I never got that feeling of love, never felt like even if she talked to other guys, I WOULDNT feel jealous about it, not one bit. And that's not right. I should be, even if a little bit. It didn't make sense to me why id be with someone and things are going really good, but not be able to say I love you to her or actually feel it with my heart 100%.

it was hard, and she doesn't speak to me now, even though we go to the same faculty and see each other every now and then... she told me some mean things, obviously, because I broke her little heart... trust me, it hurts to be in this position at first, but honestly, I'm a strong guy and I have a good shell, I don't let people bring me down ever so.. I guess I kind of took it easy... even if it was rough. So yeah, she still hates my guts, and she thinks I'm a player (I really am not lol) I did meet a girl and have sex with her once 2 months ago.thats it so far since I broke with my ex and yeah. she found out about that, and now she thinks even worse about me...

she was my first breakup... so... I really don't feel proud about hurting her like thhat, because I don't want to hurt her.. but I did. And now I'm the jerk. Yay me. but life goes on and there's plenty of fish left to catch y'know?

What Guys Said 3

• love doesn't exist. what do you want out of life. a partner you admire, respect, trust, who you both are loyal. I find that to be far better then "love" which has no definition so how could it be real. life is not a movie. love is an emotion called lust that is brought about due to differing secretion proteins that cause a cascade of chemical in you brain and body to create a feeling of ecstasy.

• Its best just to get out of it even though he is a great guy. You're still young and will meet plenty more guys.

• discuss it together if you really like him. it might hurt him, but at least you are giving him a choice.

What Girls Said 4

• If you have been with him and given it a chance (say a few months) and you don't feel the spark of love, you should break it off. The longer you are with him, the more likely he will assume you are in love with him or even tell you he feels that and it will be all the more difficult for him to understand how you could not feel the same for him. At some point the difference in your feelings will come out. For me, it is usually that I am just not that interested in hanging out with a guy anymore. I think everyone deserves to be with a person that does love them.

• Love takes times.

Some people may love a person quicker than another. There is no time estimate.

• if you don't love him it's best to get out of the relationship, otherwise you're just leading him on.

• There are many things that make us "fall in love" with a person. While "Niceness" is usually one of them, you can't go just off of that alone. If he nice, do the nice thing and kindly break it off with him.