How should I handle my first breakup?

Please take the time to read this, I have no experience in relationships and need all the advice I can get!

When I started University, I met this guy who was in the same residence building as me through some mutual friends. We partied together because of our mutual friends, and even had french class together. He had a crush on me, but I was too scared to let him know that I felt the same way from September to January. It was in February that we bumped into eachother at a party, and I was REALLY drunk. One thing led to another, and from that point on we were a "thing". We constantly told eachother how we were catching feelings and were scared. His longest relationship only lasted 3 months, and i had never even been in one, so this scared us. Not to mention he lives in Africa, and I live in Canada. But he liked me SO much, he made it known to everyone, and we acted like a couple even though we refused to make it official. He also has really strict parents who don't want him in a relationship in university. Anyways, when the end of the school year rolled around in April, we said our goodbyes. We started off facetiming often and texting every day, but then i started my summer job and got busy, not to mention the time difference. So then it ended up just being snapchatting every day, and he gradually became more and more distant. Yesterday, i opened his snapchat saying "Melanie... I need to end this relationship, whatever this is... I just don't like where this is going" and I burst out crying. I responded with "I''m just a little bit confused, I thought we were pretty casual" He said "I know, i just don't wanna feel like i'm cuffed ya know? Even if we were casual I just feel like i need a break" and I said "I would've liked to be friends but it is what it is" and he said "No no... we're stying friends" This is just sudden and I know all his friends will be shocked too! Advice please
How should I handle my first breakup?
1
1