Guys, After my ex boyfriend broke up with me he still sends me texts with hearts and he even call me baby. But he is acting cold. What does it mean?

My ex broke up with me 4 weeks ago, saying he doesn´t love me anymore and that he doesn´t care about me anymore. First I tried to stay in touch as friends but it was clear to me that he doesn´t want to talk to me at all. So I gave him space. After that he only texted me when he needed something important, never asking me about how I am and what I´m doing. But all those text were full with hearts. Last time he text me because his pet died. I know he was emotional but he called me baby. If it would be just once I would say he was too emotional and just slipped but he continued. After that he´s cold again. Just answering my questions with lot of hearts but never really taking care about me.
I am just really confused what should I take from it. Does he still have feelings for me? Or is it just habit? I still do have feeling for him and I think we broke up because of a stupid thing that could be easily fixed. Could maybe someone try to explain me what could this mean? Thank you very much :)
2