When someone calls someone retarded, does it bother you?

It really hurts me to hear people say that. I work with special education kids every day, and when someone around them calls someone that, they cry. It hurts to hear them be upset of some stupid peoples thinking, so tell me, what do you think?

42

Most Helpful Guy

• I think its in the context of the name and how it's used. Recently the word retarded has gone to mean more than mentally challenged to people, as well as it's connotation. Like how the word gay and queer changed from happy and weird ( respectively) to mean homosexual.

What Guys Said 1

• Honestly I'm so used to using the word retard in reference to mechanical things (such as when you retard or advance the ignition timing on an engine) that it doesn't phase me. The term wasn't made to apply to mentally disabled people. It's a word that simply means "slow" or "delayed response."

What Girls Said 4

• You know what - to me there are things you may say jokingly to people in your close knit group of friends that's PRIVATE and meant very lightly and is NOT said in public where you could offend someone.

• what if someone in you close group of friends had a realtive the was mentally imparied, or a friend?

• I actually myself have a cousin who is. And if anyone offended me, I would speak up, or I would hope if I offended someone they would let me know too.

• Yeah, it is mean. But I'm unsure of what the proper terms are, not just with special needs kids, but with other disabilities. I have a friend who is a dwarf, & she gets upset when people use the wrong term to describe her or others, but I don't think people know what the specific terms are.

• i guess becuase most people don't know much about special needs or physical disablities

• I use this word but in a fun way. I would never ever use it to hurt someone with a disability. This word to me just means being real silly like in "duh". There are lots of forms of Autism and it is NO joking matter. I'm sorry if I've offended you or anyone by using it because it wasn't intentional. Society today is very different then twenty or thirty years ago. We laugh and joke about anything under the sun we even laugh at our self's! I do understand what you are saying but we have to change and adjust with the times and so should the definition of some words.

• Well, thank you for understanding:D I just kinda got on my soap box about it.

• YES, SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS! My friend has a brother who's autistic and I've learned the same way you have. It hurts seeing how people use this term so lightly! I don't know about others, but to me, it's like calling someone a "nigger" (not trying to offend anyone here, just being used as an example). Even though this word may not apply to them or anyone else they know, they do not realize that others are still around them that is offended by this word.

I hear it every day at school and I'm proud to say that every time I hear it, I explain to others. I get mocked for it, but I don't care because I know that the one who's getting hurt even more are those who are "mentally-challenged." These people are still people, just like you and I. I don't understand why others do not understand that this is offensive. Others really need to understand that using this word to replace stupidity or idiocy or someone who's not autistic hurts those who really are. The word "retarded" isn't meant for that meaning.

Seeing how people today still does it and seeing how not many people care? It hurts, it really does. Not just to you and I, but probably millions out there, specially those who have this condition that they were born with and have no control over.

Sometimes, I wonder why our world is so cruel, but then I come to realize that humans are just the most truly horrifying and disgusting creatures...